News and Tribune

Breaking News

Recent Local News

April 18, 2013

Bridge approvals granted by Board of Public Works

Big Four contracts with INDOT OK’d

JEFFERSONVILLE —

Several approvals were granted at the Jeffersonville Board of Public Works meeting Wednesday related to ongoing bridge work.

A contract was approved with Walsh Design Build Team — the contractor completing the downtown portion of the Ohio River Bridges Project — to allow them access to Jeffersonville’s waterfront and the Ohio River Greenway in order to begin construction.

Along with allowing the contractor access to greenspace along the waterfront, City Engineer Andy Crouch requested a closure on Fort Street at Riverside Drive to the floodwall starting Monday. The purpose of the closure is to allow homes along the road to be relocated. In addition, the new northbound Interstate 65 bridge will have support piers placed in the actual roadway on Fort Street, according to construction documents.

While the closure Crouch requested is set to last only until July 12, it is expected that Fort Street will not reopen.

“I anticipate that they’ll be coming to us before that asking if they can take it over,” he said of contractors.

The contract requested with Walsh Design Build Team and the road closure were both unanimously approved.

 

BIG FOUR

Two project coordination contracts with the Indiana Department of Transportation related to the Big Four pedestrian and bicycle bridge were also approved Wednesday. A contract for a cut-out in the floodwall at Mulberry Street and a lighting contract with INDOT for the Big Four Bridge were both unanimously approved.

The city is on the hook to pay for 20 percent of the cost on each of the two projects, with the remaining 80 percent of the costs coming through INDOT.

Cost for the floodwall cutout totaled $453,420, which leaves Jeffersonville’s share at $90,684. The cost for the lighting package on the bridge totals $2.2 million, with Jeffersonville’s cost equaling about $440,000.

Mayor Mike Moore said the two contracts approved were originally part of the design of the Big Four ramp. However, he explained that the project came in over budget, partially because of the canal plan that would tunnel under the floodwall. As a result of the bids coming in over budget, the lighting package, which subsequently was revised, and the floodwall cutout were removed from the bid package.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Recent Local News
LOCAL MAGAZINES
Easter 2014 photos


Click on any photo to purchase it.

SPECIAL CONTENT
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
AP Video
Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Amphibious Landing Practice in Hawaii Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA
2013 Photos of the year


Take a look at our most memorable photos from 2013.