By GARY POPP
Two people were hospitalized after a fire took hold of their Jeffersonville home this morning.
Jeffersonville Fire Department Maj. Mike McCutcheon said the man and woman were in their 533 Webster Blvd. home when the fire started about 9:30 a.m.
He said the man was in the basement of the home refueling a generator when some of the gasoline was spilled. The fire was ignited when the gasoline fumes reached a nearby hot water heater.
The man suffered second- to third-degree burns to his feet area, McCutcheon said, and the woman sustained smoke inhalation.
Both were taken to University of Louisville Hospital for treatment. McCutcheon said he believes the injuries were non-life threatening.
McCutcheon said the couple was outside of the home when firefighters arrived.
“They were very cooperative and gave us details to what possibly started the fire,” he said.
McCutcheon said the one-story family home, with a basement, was badly damaged during the fire, but didn’t say the structure is a total loss.
He estimated the value of the home at $75,000 and the damage caused by the fire about $35,000, adding that there was significant damage to the floor joists, as the fire started in the lower portion of the structure.
He said the fire came over the radio about 9:35 a.m. and firefighters arrived on the scene at 9:43 a.m. The fire was considered under control 15 minutes later, McCutcheon said.
He said he believes the couple was using the generator to power the home’s electricity.
McCutcheon said the fire department advises all residents not to use generators inside a structure under virtually any conditions.