> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
Below is a wealth of information to consider before and while attending Thunder Over Louisville on Saturday.
Bridge and interstate closures:
Clark Memorial Bridge will be closed:
Beginning at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, April 18, until Sunday at 2 p.m.
Pedestrians and bicycle commuters during the closure who need to cross the bridge may do so using a free shuttle van operated, as needed, by the Kentucky Derby Festival. To request a van ride, speak with a security officer at either end of the Clark Memorial Bridge. The bridge will be completely closed — and no shuttle will operate — from 11 a.m. Saturday, April 20, until 2:30 a.m. Sunday, April 21.
Beginning at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, April 19, until 6 a.m. on Sunday, April 21, the Third Street exit ramp in Louisville from westbound I-64 and Second Street entrance ramp to eastbound I-64 in Louisville will be closed.
From 6 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 20, the ramp from Muhammad Ali Boulevard to I-65 northbound will be closed.
From 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 20, the following closures will be in effect:
• I-65 northbound from I-264 (Watterson) to I-64;
• I-65 southbound from I-265 in Indiana to I-64;
• I-64 westbound from I-264 (Watterson Expressway) to 22nd Street;
• I-64 eastbound from I-264 (Shawnee Expressway) to I-65;
• I-71 southbound from I-264 (Watterson Expressway) to I-65.
Jeffersonville road closures:
Beginning at 8 a.m. on Saturday the following closures will be in effect:
• Interstate 65 northbound Exit 0 at Court Avenue;
• I-65 southbound Exit 0 at Market Street;
• Court Avenue entrance ramp to I-65 north;
• Court Avenue west of Broadway;
• Alleys along the floodwall from Jeffboat, west to Clarksville;
• The 100 block of Pearl Street.
Road closures will also be in effect for the following roads, which will also be no parking areas from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday:
• Riverside Drive from Jeffboat west to Clarksville;
• Market Street from Mulberry Street west to Clarksville;
• North Shore Drive, Riverpointe Plaza, Fort Street and Clark Street;
• Missouri Avenue from S. Clark Boulevard to Market Street;
• The 100 block of Walnut, Locust, Wall, Spring and Mulberry streets.
Additional no parking areas are:
• Southern Indiana Avenue;
• Jeffersonville city parking lots under the Kennedy Bridge, and south of Riverside Drive next to the Kennedy bridge;
• Mulberry Street south of the floodwall.
Jeffersonville residents living within the restricted areas needing access to their homes after 6 a.m. must contact police at the nearest road block and have proof of residency, which includes a driver’s license, a utility bill or vehicle registration with the proper name and address.
All guests must be accompanied by the homeowner, in person, or have a Jeffersonville Police Department parking pass. All vehicles must be parked on personal property. All unauthorized vehicles will be cited and towed at the owners expense.
• Beginning at 11 a.m. Friday anyone in the event area on Riverside Drive not associated with the event, security or setup crews and does not have the proper credentials or permits will be instructed to leave.
The following roads will be closed from 11 a.m. Friday until the end of the event:
• Riverside Drive at Woerner Avenue;
• South Sherwood Avenue at Winbourne Avenue;
• Smyser Avenue at the floodwall.
Starting at midnight Saturday, April 20, Clarksville’s town ordinance regarding parking along Riverside Drive will be enforced and all unauthorized vehicles will be towed.
Saturday closures beginning at 6 a.m.:
• South Clark Boulevard at Winbourne Avenue;
• South Clark Boulevard at Beckett Street;
• South Clark Boulevard at South Sherwood Avenue;
• East Montgomery Avenue at South Virginia Avenue;
• East Montgomery Avenue at South Sherwood Avenue;
• Marriot Drive at East Montgomery Avenue (to 9th Street);
• Harrison Avenue at Bailey Avenue;
• Winbourne Avenue at Riverside Drive;
• Emery Crossing at Summerplace;
• South Sherwood Avenue at Riverside Drive.
Saturday closures beginning at 10 a.m.:
• South Clark Boulevard at Woerner Avenue (resident and businesses only, permit required).
Saturday closures beginning at 2 p.m.:
• South Clark Boulevard at East Montgomery Avenue (residents, entry to VIP area, church and handicapped only, permit required)
Closures when necessary:
• North Clark Boulevard at Brown’s Station Way;
• Lewis and Clark Boulevard at Brown’s Station Way;
• Emery Crossing at McCollough Pike;
Clarksville resident parking information:
Residents who live south of Brown’s Station Way are not required to have permits, but will be subject to the following: Residents may use vehicle registration, a driver’s license or utility bill that shows residency in the event area. Permits are available up to and including the Wednesday before Thunder for residents requesting permits for family members or friends.
Residents are being reminded that once the event area is switched to outbound traffic only at the conclusion of the event, entry into the south end of the town (south of Brown’s Station Way) will not be permitted, even to residents with or without permits. Once all traffic has exited the event area, access will be granted.
For more information visit clarksvillepolice.com
Parking to benefit the Special Olympics
The Clarks Landing company, developer of the former Colgate plant, is teaming up with Special Olympics to provide parking for Thunder Over Louisville near the Clark Memorial Bridge in Clarksville.
For the third year, the entire Colgate facility is open for public parking.
The lot will open at 6 p.m. on Friday, April 19, for RV Overnight Parking. It will be open to other vehicles starting at 4 a.m. Saturday, April 20. All vehicles must exit the premises by noon on Sunday, April 21.
The parking fee for cars, SUVs and trucks is $20 per vehicle spot and motorcycle is $10 per vehicle spot. RV parking in the paved designated lot is $250 per spot for the weekend for advance reservation and $200 on Thunder day parking. A percentage of each fee will directly benefit the participants in the Special Olympics Indiana Clark County.
Spaces have also been allocated for vendor stalls. Advance reservations are being taken until Friday, April 19 and can be directed to 502-963-3650 between 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Credit cards, cash and checks are accepted. Individuals may also include a direct donation to Special Olympics Indiana Clark County with their reservation.
TARC route information
TARC will again have service into downtown Louisville and will set up five post-event boarding areas for Thunder Over Louisville.
• Regular fares are $1.75 for adults and 80 cents for riders over the ages of 65, riders with disabilities and children ages 6-17. TARC will be providing normal service throughout the day, but starting at around 7 p.m. as crowds gather downtown, police may be forced to control traffic which may result in altered TARC routes.
• Buses on routes #71-Jeffersonville and #72-Clarksville, which travel to Louisville from Indiana, will not make return trips to Indiana after the fireworks due to the closure of the Clark Memorial Bridge.
• Post-event boarding will be restricted to five locations, all within blocks of the waterfront. Buses will operate until 11 p.m. at those locations. Due to traffic, buses have limited access on downtown streets after the event.
• There will be no shuttle service from the Fairgrounds to downtown.
• For more information or trip planning visit www.ridetarc.org
The routes with added service:
• #2-Second Street (Crittenden Drive to downtown only);
• #4-Fourth Street;
• #6-Sixth Street;
• #15-Market Street;
• #43-Poplar Level Road/Portland;
• #17-Bardstown Road;
• #55-Westport Road;
• #18-Preston/18th Street;
• #63-Crums Lane;
• #19-Muhammad Ali Blvd.;
• #21- Chestnut Street.
Boarding on Market, near Floyd:
• #15 - Market Street (to La Grange Road);
• #19 - Muhammad Ali (to Oxmoor and Lyndon);
• #31 - Middletown.
Boarding on Liberty, near Floyd:
• #17 - Bardstown Road (to Fern Creek and Sebree);
• #21 - Chestnut (to Bashford Avenue);
• #23 - Broadway (to Jeffersontown and Breckenridge Plaza);
• #40 - Taylorsville Road;
• #55 - Westport Road (to Fincastle).
Boarding on Main west of 9th:
• #15 - Market Street (to Shawnee Park);
• #18 - Preston (to Valley Station);
• #19 - Muhammad Ali (to Park Duvall and Rockford Lane);
• #21 - Chestnut (to Shawnee Park);
• #23 - Broadway (to Shawnee Park);
• #43 - Portland/Poplar Level (to 32nd & Portland Loop).
Boarding on 6th near Chestnut:
• #4 - Fourth Street (to Iroquois Park and Southland Park);
• #6 - Sixth Street (via Central to Auburndale);
• #63 - Crums Lane (to West Pages Lane).
Boarding on 1st at Muhammad Ali
• #2 - Second Street (to Airport and UPS);
• #18 - Preston (to Okolona - Outer Loop Plaza);
• #43 - Portland/Poplar Level (to Fern Creek).
For more information about Thunder Over Louisville or the Kentucky Derby Festival’s schedule of events visit kdf.org.