A prosecutor says he expects to decide within six weeks whether to seek the death penalty against the three people charged with causing the deadly gas explosion that devastated an Indianapolis neighborhood.
Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry says a death penalty review team in his office will review the case and make a recommendation to him. He says he hopes to make that decision before a Feb. 12 court hearing.
Curry tells The Indianapolis Star (http://indy.st/RlmCZD ) that he’ll talk with victims’ relatives so they know seeking the death penalty could mean years of court appeals.
Murder and other charges were filed last week against homeowner Monserrate Shirley, her boyfriend Mark Leonard and his brother, Bob Leonard, for the Nov. 10 blast that killed a couple living next to Shirley’s house.