News and Tribune

January 16, 2014

Man injured in New Albany house fire released from hospital


newsroom@newsandtribune.com

— One man was taken to the hospital after a house fire early Thursday morning in New Albany.

Joe Squier, New Albany Fire Department investigator, said a call was received at 4:18 a.m. about a fire in a home at 1819 Shelby St. Firefighters were on the scene at 4:21 a.m. and were able to have the flames under control in about 15 minutes., according to newsgathering partner WAVE-3 News.

Two rooms in the home were involved. The occupant was taken to Clark Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation and minor burns. He was released from the hospital Thursday according to Squier. He said he didn’t know if the house was a total loss.

“They might be able to refurbish it,” he said.

Squier said the home on the east side of 1819 had some siding melt due to the heat of the flames, but no structural damage.

According to WAVE, New Albany police were dispatched to the residence several times on domestic related runs Wednesday. 

The investigation is still ongoing.