The park will sit at the foot of the Big Four Bridge, a pedestrian and bicycle crossing which will connect the downtowns of Louisville and Jeffersonville. It is a renovation of an abandoned railroad bridge which closed in the 1960s.
Changes presented by Estopinal to area residents Saturday included additions, revisions and reductions to the park that will span from Market to Maple streets and Mulberry to Pearl streets.
Among the reductions were LED lighting planned to run along the bridge ramp, which will instead be along the railing to reduce spill-over light and the cutting back of a cover planned over a playground in the park.
Revisions to the plans include changes to the restroom facility and its location, the reduced size of light towers near the bridge ramp, design changes made to an obelisk at the center of the landing of the ramp and a more simplified multipurpose pavilion to create more open space.
The obelisk — still at the center of a landing at the foot of the bridge ramp — includes elements that relate to the former railroad crossing, with lattice work that is reminiscent of the former bridge trellises and a marker, about halfway up the tower, which marks the cresting point of the 1937 flood.
Changes were also made to the path running through the park, making it more curved and the reduction in the scale to a water feature planned near the park. The cascading water feature was designed to mimic the nearby Falls of the Ohio, which will drop 14 feet and funnel into a pool surrounding the obelisk.
Additions to the project are acorn lighting along the perimeter of the park to blend in better with the historic Rose Hill neighborhood. Historical signage will also be added and low-profile bollards, or light posts, will be installed. Those will be about three feet tall and create light for security, but are designed to not be intrusive to the homes surrounding the park.