News and Tribune

Recent Local News

November 12, 2013

Fire destroys family home in Jeffersonville

No one injured in blaze, but JFD says family pet was killed

JEFFERSONVILLE — A home in Jeffersonville’s Capitol Hills neighborhood was destroyed by a fire Tuesday after a fireplace was left unattended, fire official say.

Jeffersonville Fire Department Maj. Mike McCutcheon said firefighters responded to the blaze at 3505 Washington Court about 1 p.m. No one was in the home during the fire.

An ember from a previous fire had escaped a flu insert and started a fire around the fireplace, McCutcheon said, after the home was left vacant.

Three generations of family members resided in home, and the Red Cross has stepped in to provide assistance, as the home was left inhabitable.

McCutcheon said the family’s dog, Chopper, was able to safely exit the home, but the cat, Bill, was killed in the fire.

JFD encourages all Jeffersonville residents to take extra precautions during the winter when alternative sources of heat, such as fireplaces and space heaters, are used in the home.

Call 812-283-8416 if you are interested in donating to the Clark County Red Cross.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Recent Local News
LOCAL MAGAZINES
Easter 2014 photos


Click on any photo to purchase it.

SPECIAL CONTENT
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
AP Video
Couple Channel Grief Into Soldiers' Retreat WWI Aviation Still Alive at Aerodrome in NY Raw: Rescuers at Taiwan Explosion Scene Raw: Woman Who Faced Death Over Faith in N.H. Clinton Before 9-11: Could Have Killed Bin Laden Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN
2013 Photos of the year


Take a look at our most memorable photos from 2013.