> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
9/11 service planned
Kirchner Dental will be hosting a 9/11 Day of Remembrance and Salute to Veterans at noon on Sept. 11 at 1706 Williamsburg Drive, Jeffersonville.
The free community event is open to everyone and will feature local and active duty military, live patriotic music, giveaways and barbecue lunch. Music will be provided by the Jeffersonville High School Band and Class Act DJ. Jeffersonville Mayor Mike Moore will provide a 9/11 Day of Remembrance address and state Sen. Ron Grooms, R-Jeffersonville, will give a salute to local veterans. Donations will be collected for the Wounded Warrior Project.
Event ends Aquatic Center’s season
The Jeffersonville Aquatic Center will hold its last event of the summer season, the Goldfish Run and Pooch Plunge, at 10 a.m. on Sept. 7.
The Aquatic Center staff will release 400 goldfish into the kiddie pool. Each child is given a cup and, at the sound of the lifeguard whistle, are given an allotted amount of time (depending on age) to catch a goldfish in their cup. No hands! No nets!
The price is $2 per child. The goldfish goes home with the child as a reminder of all the fun they had swimming at the Aquatic Center this summer.
Schedule for fishing:
3 and under starts at 10 a .m.; 4 year olds, 10:20 a.m.; 5 year olds, 10:40 a.m.; 6 year olds, 11 a.m.; 7 year olds, 11:15; 8 year olds, 11:20 a.m.; 9 year olds, 11:25 a.m.; 10 year olds at 11:30 a.m.
Pooch plunge begins at 12 and ends at 3 p.m. You must provide proof of veterinary vaccination. $3 for the first dog. $5 for two. $1 each additional dog. No unsociable dogs please.
The center is located at 2107 Middle Road, Jeffersonville.
Master gardeners to meet
Sunnyside Master Gardener meeting, 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 3, at One Vision Federal Credit Union, 206 W. Lewis and Clark Parkway, Clarksville.
Joan Burton, Sunnyside Master Gardener, will speak on Theme Gardens. Joan has developed a number of Theme Gardens on her 26 acre property and will have pictures of those as well as others in the area. For more information, call 812-948-5470.
'Damn Yankees' audition set
The Theatre Department at Indiana University Southeast will hold open auditions for its Fall 2013 production of the musical, "Damn Yankees," 7 to 9:30 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 5 and Friday, Sept. 6, and from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 10 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 7. Auditions will be held in the Robinson Theater of the Paul W. Ogle Cultural and Community Center on the IU Southeast campus, 4201 Grant Line Road, New Albany.
Those auditioning should prepare a short comic monologue no longer than one minute and 16 bars of a song, and bring a resume and a headshot, if available. An accompanist will be provided.
Production dates for "Damn Yankees" will be Nov. 7-10 and Nov. 14-17.
For additional information, contact the director, Jim Hesselman at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 812- 941-2227.
> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
- Recent Local News
- Saying goodbye...sort of: After 46 years, Heideman retiring from Floyd Memorial Hospital
- Ellspermann cuts ribbon on North Vernon Bypass in Jennings County
- Murder charge filed after nephew shot by uncle in Jeffersonville home dies from injuries
- Jeffersonville homelessness task force drafting a plan
- Accused child molester in Jeffersonville case commits suicide
- Tipsy dump truck causes traffic tie-up in Clark County
- Wreck closes I-64 in Floyd County for several hours
- New Albany Bicentennial — The city’s library
- Gov. Pence's education outline for Indiana unveiled in Corydon
- NEWS AND TRIBUNE BRIEFS — For Nov. 11
- NEW ERA: New Tech construction begins in Clarksville
- Silver Street in New Albany to close for drainage improvements
- Separate arrests made overnight by Indiana State Police
- Community rises up to help New Albany restaurant lost in fire
- 'I would love it if it was every day': YMCA branches receive grant for after-school programs
- More Recent Local News Headlines