News and Tribune

October 31, 2012

Floyd County suspect to return from Louisville jail

Yellow Cab driver faces four reckless homicide felonies following Sunday’s fatal auto wreck


FLOYD COUNTY — The Louisville Yellow Cab driver charged with four counts of reckless homicide in Floyd County will be returning to Indiana for prosecution.

Charles M. Barlow, 32, appeared in a Jefferson County District Court Wednesday morning and waived extradition.

He was arrested Tuesday afternoon at a Yellow Cab facility in Louisville by U.S. Marshals, who were acting on behalf of the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office.

The results of the hearing allows the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office to collect their suspect from the Louisville Metro Department of Corrections until Nov. 13, Barlow’s next Jefferson County court date.

Floyd County Sheriff’s Maj. Jeff Topping said he anticipates deputies to retrieve Barlow from the Louisville jail in time for him to appear for an initial hearing in Floyd County on Friday.

While in the Jefferson County Jail, Barlow is under a $500,000 bond.

The Jefferson County Clerk’s Office said Barlow is ineligible for bail as he is considered a flight risk and danger to the community.

Barlow was behind the wheel of a Yellow Cab taxi late Sunday, Oct. 28, on Ind. 111, near Horseshoe Casino, when he drove the vehicle off the road, over corrected, crossed the center line and struck an oncoming vehicle.

The single occupant of the oncoming Cadillac, Thomas Stinson, and the Yellow Cab taxi’s three passengers, Michael Roby, Tara Hirsekorn and Laura Weigand, were all killed in the collision. All four were Louisville residents.

According to the probable cause affidavit filed in Floyd County for Barlow’s arrest, he was driving in excess of 80 mph prior to the collision.

Officials have reported that everyone in the taxi cab were friends, and Barlow was operating the Yellow Cab while off duty.

The document continues that officers who interviewed Barlow in the hospital after the wreck reported the odor of alcohol was detected on Barlow, and that he admitted to consuming alcohol before the collision occurred.

As the only survivor of the collision, Barlow was taken by ambulance from the wreckage to University of Louisville Hospital by ambulance for treatment of his injuries.

Floyd County Prosecutor Keith Henderson remarked Tuesday that his office intends to hold Barlow responsible for those who were killed in collision.

Barlow is facing four C felony charges, and could be placed in the Indiana Department of Correction for up to 32 years if found guilty.