Mull said it is fortunate more people were not injured as Miller recklessly fired the firearm in the home.
“It was obviously a situation that put everyone in a great deal of danger,” Mull said. “The children, thankfully, were not injured, but they were right there in the line of fire where they could have been hit or a ricochet bullet could have hit them.”
Mull also responded to Miller’s statement that he had been communicating with his wife as police canvassed the area trying to locate his whereabouts.
“He has been in contact with her, but I can tell you that we were trying to get him to turn himself in,” Mull said. “We were trying to find him. So, the reason that he was in contact with her may not be the reason he thought he was in contact with her.”
Mull said he wasn’t fazed by Miller’s declarations in the court that he was not a criminal and that area media had misrepresented the incident.
“Well, that’s the blame game,” Mull said. “To pull out a pistol and to aim it at a person holding a baby and to shoot her intentionally twice, that makes you a criminal. Although [Miller] may disagree with that, he is a criminal. He has been charged as a criminal and will be convicted as a criminal.”
In addition to the attempted murder, Miller has been charged with aggravated battery, a class B felony; criminal recklessness with a firearm, a class C felony; three counts of neglect of a dependent, all class D felonies; intimidation with a deadly weapon and interference with reporting of a crime, a class A misdemeanor.
He does not yet have an attorney and is next due in court for a pretrial conference April 18.
To see Miller’s comments to area as he was escorted out of the courtroom, log on to newsandtribune.com