GIBSON SOUTHERN AT CHARLESTOWN
• TIME: 8 p.m.
• PLACE: Dutch Reis Field.
• RECORDS: Charlestown 12-0, Gibson Southern 10-2.
• SERIES RECORD: First meeting.
• SERIES LAST 10 YEARS: First meeting.
• LAST MEETING: First meeting.
• KEY FACTS: The Pirates are 1-2 all-time in regional games. Their lone regional championship happened in 1989, when they shut out Greensburg in a Class 3A regional, 37-0. Charlestown has lost in its last two regional appearances. The Pirates suffered a 24-0 setback to Evansville Memorial in a 3A regional in 1993, and then in 1996, they fell to Heritage Hills in a 3A regional, 62-14. … Charlestown quarterback Aaron Daniel ranks second in the state in rushing touchdowns (30), sixth in passing touchdowns (33), 15th in rushing yards (1,585) and 26th in passing yards (1,853). Pirate senior running back Seth McCutchen is 16th in Indiana in rushing touchdowns (20) and 26th in rushing yards (1,407). Also, Charlestown junior Jake Harper ranks 12th in the state in solo tackles (93), while teammate Matt Myers is 16th with 88 solo tackles. … The Titans won their final two sectional games in overtime by a combined nine points. They defeated Vincennes Lincoln in the semifinal (37-31) and Evansville Memorial in the championship (27-24).
• MATCHUP TO WATCH: Gibson Southern quarterback Jordan Scheller vs. Charlestown’s defense — Scheller, a senior, ranks ninth in the state in passing yards with 2,357. He put up some huge numbers in the Titans’ first two sectional games. Scheller threw for 338 yards in Gibson Southern’s first-round win over Mt. Vernon (Posey) and 352 yards in the Titans’ semifinal win over Vincennes Lincoln. But the Pirates have been phenomenal on defense all year. They have the third-best scoring defense in the state, allowing 6.6 points per game. Charlestown’s pass rush must put a lot of pressure on Scheller if the Pirates intend to reach the semi-state next Friday.
• NOTE: Winner will face either Greensburg or third-ranked Indianapolis Chatard in the Class 3A semi-state next Friday.
- Local Sports
H.S. BASEBALL: Borden shocks No. 2 FC, 8-7
Braves take advantage of seven errors
H.S. SOFTBALL: Dragon bats come alive in win at Clarksville
Creek fights back from early deficit, 15-0 loss on Wednesday
H.S. ROUNDUP: Cook throws no-hitter against Austin
Jeff baseball rallies to beat Seymour
COLLEGE ATHLETICS: Glover named to NAIA National Administrative Council
IUS athletic director will serve as KIAC rep
H.S. BASEBALL: Highlanders win Floyd County showdown
Floyd Central beats error-prone Bulldogs 12-4
H.S. SOFTBALL: Jeff softball shuts down New Washington
Floyd softball scores 19 times on 25 hits in win over North Harrison
- HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: Mattingly named National Football Foundation scholar athlete
- COLLEGE SOFTBALL: Grenadiers dominate Ohio Christian in DH sweep
- COLLEGE BASEBALL: Grenadiers edge St. Catharine 6-4 in home finale
INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE: Bats' Gotay off to torrid start
Journeyman slugging .816, has 10 RBIs in 10 games this season
- More Local Sports Headlines
- H.S. BASEBALL: Borden shocks No. 2 FC, 8-7