By KEVIN HARRIS
GIBSON SOUTHERN AT CHARLESTOWN
• TIME: 8 p.m.
• PLACE: Dutch Reis Field.
• RECORDS: Charlestown 12-0, Gibson Southern 10-2.
• SERIES RECORD: First meeting.
• SERIES LAST 10 YEARS: First meeting.
• LAST MEETING: First meeting.
• KEY FACTS: The Pirates are 1-2 all-time in regional games. Their lone regional championship happened in 1989, when they shut out Greensburg in a Class 3A regional, 37-0. Charlestown has lost in its last two regional appearances. The Pirates suffered a 24-0 setback to Evansville Memorial in a 3A regional in 1993, and then in 1996, they fell to Heritage Hills in a 3A regional, 62-14. … Charlestown quarterback Aaron Daniel ranks second in the state in rushing touchdowns (30), sixth in passing touchdowns (33), 15th in rushing yards (1,585) and 26th in passing yards (1,853). Pirate senior running back Seth McCutchen is 16th in Indiana in rushing touchdowns (20) and 26th in rushing yards (1,407). Also, Charlestown junior Jake Harper ranks 12th in the state in solo tackles (93), while teammate Matt Myers is 16th with 88 solo tackles. … The Titans won their final two sectional games in overtime by a combined nine points. They defeated Vincennes Lincoln in the semifinal (37-31) and Evansville Memorial in the championship (27-24).
• MATCHUP TO WATCH: Gibson Southern quarterback Jordan Scheller vs. Charlestown’s defense — Scheller, a senior, ranks ninth in the state in passing yards with 2,357. He put up some huge numbers in the Titans’ first two sectional games. Scheller threw for 338 yards in Gibson Southern’s first-round win over Mt. Vernon (Posey) and 352 yards in the Titans’ semifinal win over Vincennes Lincoln. But the Pirates have been phenomenal on defense all year. They have the third-best scoring defense in the state, allowing 6.6 points per game. Charlestown’s pass rush must put a lot of pressure on Scheller if the Pirates intend to reach the semi-state next Friday.
• NOTE: Winner will face either Greensburg or third-ranked Indianapolis Chatard in the Class 3A semi-state next Friday.