> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
• COACH: Patrick Fleming.
• KEY RETURNEES: Devin Evanczyk (Sr., 220); Dorian Noel (Jr., 182); Josh Murner (Jr., 138); Matt Hayes (So., 195); Brett Kempf (So., 145).
• KEY VARSITY NEWCOMERS: Fleming says he has several newcomers on his varsity roster, and he is currently trying to decide where these wrestlers will factor into the mix this season.
• TOUGH OPPONENTS/MEETS: Floyd Central, Charlestown, Milan; Evansville Memorial Tournament, Scottsburg Tournament, Southern Indiana Wrestling Conference Tournament.
• OUTLOOK: Even though he has an inexperienced team this season, Fleming likes the talent within his squad. Kempf and Hayes both qualified for regional as freshmen last season. Evanczyk is the only senior starter for the Pioneers. One of Providence’s goals is to win the SIWC, but Fleming says the Pioneers will need to go through Milan and Charlestown to accomplish that feat.
• FLEMING SAYS: “We have a young squad this year that doesn’t have all that much experience. However, the guys have been working hard and will steadily improve throughout the season. I’m expecting several of our returning wrestlers to make a run in the state tournament, and hopefully we will be surprised by some of the newcomers.”
• COACH: Jeremy Campbell.
• KEY RETURNEES: Brady Meenach (Sr., 138); Jacob Franklin (Jr., 160); Yancey Crase (Jr. 132).
• KEY VARSITY NEWCOMERS: Jimmy Wise (Fr., 126); Jacob Blackwell (Fr., 126).
• TOUGH OPPONENTS/MEETS: Madison, Charlestown, Providence, Jennings County; SIWC Tournament, Jeff Classic.
• OUTLOOK: Meenach and Franklin each qualified for semi-state last season. Wrestling at 126 pounds, Meenach finished third at sectional and second at regional. Franklin competed at 152 pounds, placing second at sectional and third at regional. The Mustangs’ main focus is to improve every day so they will be prepared for the postseason.
• CAMPBELL SAYS: “Our outlook is the same thing every year — learn and grow and get ready by sectional. We are focusing on fundamentals.”