> SOUTHERN INDIANA — COMPILED BY KEVIN HARRIS
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Melanie Stutsman (Western Kentucky volleyball, Floyd Central graduate, Sr.) — weekly stats: 162 assists, 17 digs, 12 kills, nine blocks, five aces; top performance: match-high 42 assists, five digs, team-high four blocks and two kills in the Hilltoppers’ 3-0 home victory over UNLV at the WKU Invitational on Saturday; notes: Stutsman was named the Sun Belt Conference Setter of the Week on Monday; team record: 7-4.
• Brian Eurton (St. Joseph’s men’s cross country, Fr.) — notes: 59th at the Wisconsin-Parkside Midwest Open on Saturday, 27:13.4.
• Rachel Boesing (Asbury volleyball, Fr.) — notes: three kills in the Eagles’ 3-0 victory on Sept. 9 at Martin Methodist; team records: 8-6 overall, 2-1 Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
• Drew Mattingly (Huntington men’s soccer, Sr.) — weekly stats: 14 saves, seven goals against; notes: three saves and one goal against in the Foresters’ 3-1 home win over Manchester last Tuesday; team record: 4-3.
• Wes Rittman (Hanover football, So.) — notes: 0-for-3 passing with three interceptions and one rush for minus-6 yards in the Panthers’ 69-0 loss at Wabash on Saturday; team record: 0-2.
• Erika Wilson (Southern Indiana women’s cross country, Sr.) — top performance: seventh in the non-Division I race at the Michigan State University Spartan Invitational last Friday, 21:48; notes: Wilson’s time was the sixth-fastest 6K time in program history.
• Whitney Batliner (IU Southeast women’s tennis, Fr.) — weekly stats: 2-0 singles record, 2-0 doubles record; top performance: No. 3 singles triumph (6-2, 6-1) and No. 1 doubles win (8-2) in the Grenadiers’ 5-4 victory at Franklin on Sunday; team records: 2-1 overall, 1-0 KIAC.
• Brad Baumann (Hanover men’s golf, Sr.) — notes: 30th at the Jim English Centre Invitational in Danville, Ky., last Thursday with a one-round score of 78, 6-over-par.
• Garrett Blackman (Southern Indiana men’s cross country, Sr.) — notes: 75th in the non-Division I race at the Michigan State University Spartan Invitational last Friday, 26:32.
• Rebekah Burgan (Parkland women’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: Burgan played as a defender in the Cobras’ 5-0 home victory over Kaskaskia last Wednesday and their 3-2 loss at Lewis and Clark Community College on Saturday; team record: 3-3.
• Laura Der (Marshall volleyball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 35 digs, 34 kills, six assists, five blocks; top performance: match-high 18 digs, team-high 14 kills, three blocks and two assists in the Thundering Herd’s 3-1 win over Eastern Kentucky at the Thunder Invitational last Friday in Huntington, W.Va.; team record: 5-7.
• Rachel Engle (Western Kentucky volleyball, So.) — weekly stats: 21 kills, four digs, four blocks; top performance: seven kills in the Hilltoppers’ 3-1 home win over Virginia last Friday at the WKU Invitational; team record: 7-4.
• Janice Heffernan (St. Mary’s women’s golf, Jr.) — notes: 27th at the O’Brien National Invitational on Sunday and Monday in South Bend with a two-round score of 172 (87 in the first round, 85 in the final).
• Cassie Holland (Asbury women’s soccer, So.) — weekly stats: five shots, five shots on goal, two goals; top performance: two goals, four shots and four shots on goal in the Eagles’ 2-0 win at St. Catherine on Sept. 9; team record: 2-5.
• Devin Jenkins (IPFW men’s golf, Fr.) — notes: 63rd at the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Derek Dolenc Invitational Sept. 9-10 in Edwardsville, Ill., with a three-round score of 237, 21-over-par (77 in the first round, 83 in the second, 77 in the final).
• Dylan Jenney (Franklin football, Jr.) — top performance: three receptions for 65 yards, including a 27-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter, in the Grizzlies’ 31-28 home loss to Butler on Saturday; team record: 0-2.
• Danny Laird (Northern Kentucky men’s soccer, So.) — notes: Laird came off the bench in the Norse’s 1-0 loss to Loyola of Chicago at the 50 years of Eastern Illinois University Men’s Soccer Tournament on Sunday; team record: 2-2-1.
• Kyndall Merritt (Indiana volleyball, So.) — weekly stats: nine digs, seven assists; notes: six digs and four assists in the Hoosiers’ 3-0 home victory over UAB on Saturday at the Hoosier Classic in Bloomington; team record: 8-1.
• Alyssa Moore (Southern Indiana women’s cross country, Fr.) — notes: 107th in the non-Division I race at the Michigan State University Spartan Invitational last Friday, 24:10.
• Taylor Patty (Southern Indiana women’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: Patty has played in the last three Screaming Eagles‘ games as a reserve player; team records: 3-0-1 overall, 1-0-1 Great Lakes Valley Conference.
• Katie Perkins (South Florida women’s cross country, So.) — notes: 152nd at the Mountain Dew Invitational on Saturday in Tampa, Fla., 25:28.57.
• Loryn Queen (Tennessee-Chattanooga women’s soccer, So.) — weekly stats: four shots, three shots on goal, one goal; top performance: one goal, three shots and three shots on goals in the Mocs’ 5-1 victory over South Carolina State at the Under Armour Border Classic on Sunday in Boiling Springs, N.C.; team record: 3-3.
• Daniel Shepard (IPFW men’s golf, Fr.) — notes: 52nd at the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Derek Dolenc Invitational Sept. 9-10 in Edwardsville, Ill., with a three-round score of 231, 15-over-par (78 in the first round, 78 in the second, 75 in the final).
• Alysen Shireman (Campbellsville women’s soccer, Jr.) — notes: Shireman started and played all 90 minutes in both the Tigers’ 2-0 loss last Tuesday at Cumberland (Tenn.) and their 2-0 home victory over Asbury; team records: 3-2-1 overall, 0-1 Mid-South Conference.
• Jamie Wallace (Indianapolis volleyball, So.) — notes: one ace in the Greyhounds’ 3-0 victory over Gannon on Saturday at the Wisconsin-Parkside Tournament; team record: 4-4.
• Morgan Wilson (Spalding volleyball, So.) — weekly stats: 29 assists, 11 digs; top performance: team-high 20 assists and five digs in the Golden Eagles’ 3-1 loss to Westminster (Mo.) on Saturday in Elsah, Ill.; team records: 4-5 overall, 0-2 St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.