By GREG MENGELT
John Davis held Charlestown to one run on two hits and had three hits himself as Providence defeated the Pirates 8-1 on Wednesday.
Davis threw six innings, striking out six and walking just two. He also had the Pioneers’ only extra-base hit with a double.
George Knott and Drew Campbell had two hits apiece as Providence produced 12 hits. Daniel Sprinkle had a double for the Pirates.
The Pioneers travel to Louisville today to face DeSales, while Charlestown hosts Browntown Central in a Mid-Southern Conference tilt.
• Eastern wins thriller over Lanesville: With Shane Williams on second, Jacob Hornung hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the sixth inning to propel Eastern past Lanesville, 6-5.
Kaleb Nicholson picked up the win and Dustyn Miller the save after Miller produced a strike out-throw out double play to end the game.
Jordan Eberle hit a bases-clearing double in the second to give the Musketeers a 3-2 lead.
• Generals beat Crawford: Nick Jones had two hits, including a first-inning home run, scored twice and knocked in two runs as Clarksville defeated Crawford County 7-3. Shane Reynolds had three hits and Wyatt Kissel struck out seven and earned the victory on the mound. Nathaniel Jones and Alec Hauber each had a double for the Generals.
NEXT: Clarksville (6-15) hosts Eastern, today.
• Borden drubs Tigers: Borden’s offense produced 14 runs on 12 hits in a 14-1 Southern Athletic Conference win over Crothersville.
David Vansant had two hits, including a double, and three RBIs for Borden. Garrett Vick knocked in three runs and Kyle Kruer was the winning pitcher and had two hits for the Braves.
NEXT: Borden hosts Brownstown Central (DH), Saturday.
• Hornets stay hot: Henryville scored three times in the fourth and five in the fifth for an 11-1 five-inning victory over Clarksville.
Sydney Hollingsworth went 3 for 4 with three RBIs for the Hornets. Bailey Sharp had two hits, including a home run for the Generals’ only run.
NEXT: Clarksville (7-12) at Scottsburg, today; Henryville (11-10) at Silver Creek Invitational, Saturday.
• Mustangs thump Shawe: Whitney Morris picked up the win and had a double and two RBIs as New Washington defeated Madison Shawe 17-4.
Kaitlyn Schindler went 2 for 3 with two RBIs for the Mustangs, who broke the game open with eight runs in the second inning.
NEXT: New Washington at Crothersville, today.
• Generals edge CAI on Tuesday: Miranda DeKorte, Abigail Hurtgen and Clarksville’s No. 1 doubles team of Bailey Duggan and Jenni Goldman each earned victories as the Generals beat Christian Academy 3-2 on Tuesday.
The Warriors got wins from Rachel Jones at No. 1 singles and Kacie Arrell and Callie Allison at No. 2 doubles.
NEXT: Clarksville at Salem, Monday; Christian Academy at New Albany Sectional, TBA.
TRACK & FIELD
• Pioneer girls win three-way: Providence’s girls’ track team easily beat Trinity Lutheran and Christian Academy in a three-way meet on Tuesday. The Pioneers won all but one event.
Maryashly Betz won the 100 hurdles, the 1,600 and the 300 hurdles for Providence.
The Pioneer boys fell to Trinity Lutheran 62-58. Murphy Sheets won the 1,600 and the 3,200 for Providence.
NEXT: Providence and Christian Academy at Floyd Central Sectional, Tuesday (girls) and Thursday (boys).
• Borden second in three-way meet: Crothersville won a three-way meet at Chariot Run on Tuesday, with Borden finishing second, nine strokes behind.
Kamden Hurst led the Braves with a 45, followed by Reilly Gray’s 46 and T.J. Fraley’s 47.
NEXT: Borden hosts Eastern, today.