The Floyd County Sheriff’s Department is asking for the public’s help in identifying an alleged purse thief seen in store surveillance video.
The police department released the video this week of a man using credit cards they believe were stolen from a woman’s vehicle as she entered Highland Baptist Day Care in Galena.
According to police records, the woman said she went inside the day care for about five minutes at 4:30 p.m. Dec. 30. When she returned, her purse —containing credit cards and cash — was missing from the vehicle.
Within hours, more than $700 was spent at four Harrison County convenience stores, including Moore’s Thriftway Supermarket and Cowboy Food Store in New Salisbury and Five Star Food Mart and Cowboys Food Mart in Corydon.
Video shows the suspect at Cowboy purchasing about $100 worth of cigarettes and then asking for more cigarettes and making another purchase for about the same amount.
“Someone around here has to know this guy,” Floyd County Detective Capt. Jeff Topping said, adding that he believes the man is from the area.
Anyone who has seen the suspect or has information about the case is asked to call the sheriff’s department at 812-948-5400.
Floyd County detectives seek public’s assistance in identifying suspect
- Most Wanted
MOST WANTED: Floyd County — July 2010
All information will be kept confidential.
Police seek public help finding five on outstanding warrants
Early morning on June 4, a multi-agency task force with more than 55 law enforcement officers in and around Floyd County set out to execute 54 felony warrants, nearly all of them drug cases.
Police arrested 44 of their targets as well as four others. In the days following the roundup, several others have been arrested. Five warrants remain outstanding as of Friday afternoon.
- Georgetown convenience store robbed at gunpoint The Floyd County Sheriff’s Department is seeking help to identify a suspect in a Georgetown armed robbery.
- Police seek help identifying man in attempted break-in The Clark County Sheriff’s Department is asking for the public’s help in identifying a suspect in an attempted burglary in Charlestown.
- Floyd police warn about woman offering to clean carpet The Floyd County Sheriff’s Department is warning about a possible scam artist reported in the 4400 block of St. Mary’s Road in Floyds Knobs.
- Police: Man stole purse from vehicle outside day care The Floyd County Sheriff’s Department is asking for the public’s help in identifying an alleged purse thief seen in store surveillance video.
- Woman pleads for thief to return patio furniture The red bows were still on her patio furniture, a Christmas gift from her family.
- Drive-by shooting reported The New Albany Police Department is investigating a drive-by shooting incident that occurred about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday morning in the Village Drive apartment complex.
- Police search for suspect in Walgreens robbery Police are investigating an armed robbery that occurred Tuesday before 2 p.m. at the Walgreens at 1702 E. Spring St. in New Albany.
- Salem man sought as person of interest in Washington Co. robbery
- More Most Wanted Headlines
- MOST WANTED: Floyd County — July 2010