Siblings arrested after domestic disputes

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:45 pm

Three siblings were arrested after fighting in their Jeffersonville home, police reported.

Brian Boyd, 26, Amber Boyd, 25, and Emily Boyd, 21, all of 1052 Avondale Court, have each been charged in Clark County Circuit Court No. 3 following their Feb. 7 arrests.

Jeffersonville police responded to the home about 1:15 a.m. on a domestic dispute call. After arriving, police spoke with Emily Boyd, Amber Boyd and their mother. Brian Boyd had left the home before police arrived.

Emily Boyd told police that Brian Boyd had come to the home and was told that the family was being evicted. She told police that her brother then became physically violent and started yelling at his mother.

Emily said that she told Brian Boyd not to talk to their mother in that manner, and, according to the police report, Brian Boyd then turned his anger toward her.

“Emily [Boyd] stated that he then came after her, knocking her to the floor,” the officer wrote in the report. “She stated that he got on top of her, hit her with a closed fist, pulled her hair and then started choking her while telling her that he was going to kill her.”

Police reported that Emily Boyd had red marks on her upper chest, throat, neck and both forearms. 

The mother told police that as she attempted to break up the fight between her children, Brian Boyd punched her in the head. A large knot on the mother’s forehead was reported by police.

Amber Boyd, whose 2- and 4-year-old children were present during the incident, told police that Emily Boyd had instigated the altercation with their brother by threatening him with a dull meat cleaver. Amber Boyd said that she saw her sister strike Brian Boyd in the arm with the meat cleaver.

While at the residence, police were informed that Brian Boyd had left the home on foot. Police searched the area and found Brian Boyd at The Pitt Stop Pub and Grill on 10th Street, where he was taken into custody.

Brian Boyd was later charged in court with strangulation, battery to a family member and intimidation, all class D felonies.

He was released Feb. 11, after a $505 bond was posted.

Police returned to the Boyds’ home less than an hour later at 2:13 a.m. in reference to a domestic battery call. Amber Boyd and Emily Boyd both told the officers who arrived that they had been in a fight with one another, and each showed minor injures.

“Because both were showing signs of battery, Emily and Amber were going to be placed under arrest,” the officer put into the police report.

When the officer asked Amber Boyd to turn around and place her hands behind her back, she refused, saying, “No, I’m not going to,” according to the report.

The officer asked her again to comply, to which she replied, “No, I’m not going to jail.”

Amber Boyd continued to resist arrest by trying to jerk away from the officer and run into another room. The officer responded by taking her to the ground, but she still refused to cooperate, according to the police report.

As the officer struggled with Amber Boyd, a second officer “sprayed a small amount of pepper spray in Amber’s’ face to gain control of her and cooperation,” the officer wrote in the report.

Both women were then taken to the Clark County Adult Correctional Complex and were released the next day.

Each sister was later charged in court.

Amber Boyd was charged with battery and resisting law enforcement, both class A misdemeanors. She was released after a $1,000 court-cash bond was posted.

Emily Boyd was charged with A misdemeanor battery. She was released without posting bond.

According to court records, each of the siblings has a pretrial conference scheduled in early March.


To view more photos, visit