> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
A Wednesday morning conversation on Twitter reminded me that there’s much that goes on at the News and Tribune — or any newspaper for that matter — that the public doesn’t know about or understand.
Part of that is our fault. We deliver news to readers every day, but honestly don’t do a good job of explaining how that is accomplished.
There’s much more to all of our jobs in the editorial department than simply interviewing, writing, taking photographs and editing for the daily newspaper.
There’s general management; covering time off; taking calls from happy and unhappy people; giving advice on where to live from callers; giving directions; scanning other news sites; updating newsandtribune.com; going to events or speaking to groups or classes; typing in jail logs; working booths at area festivals; planning and editing our three regular magazines and numerous special sections; planning for election coverage; working with funeral homes on obituaries; and organizing submitted content like news briefs and photos.
Just like any job, people do come and go and that can change responsibilities. Recently, we’ve had some movement among reporters and our sports department. I wanted to use this as a chance to reacquaint readers with some of our editorial staff and what they cover.
Below is a listing of staffers and contact information that readers can clip out and use when they need it.
• Jerod Clapp — covers education in Clark and Floyd counties. Jerod also takes many photos for the newspaper; firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-206-2152.
• Matt Koesters — covers Clark County government and Clarksville, with backup coverage of Sellersburg. Matt also is a fan of writing feature stories. He was previously sports editor at the paper email@example.com or 812-206-2157.
• Braden Lammers — covers Jeffersonville, Charlestown, River Ridge Commerce Center and transportation issues (see Ohio River Bridges). Braden also maintains our Hoosier Hits music blog. firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-206-2114.
• Gary Popp — covers public safety — police and fire beats — for Clark and Floyd counties. Gary is our newest reporter. gary.popp@ newsandtribune.com or 812-206-2115.
• Daniel Suddeath — covers New Albany with backup coverage of Floyd County and also edits Business Source and Current magazines. email@example.com or 812-206-2151.