News and Tribune

December 31, 2013

Grease fire damages Jeffersonville home

Firefighters put out blaze in 10 minutes

By GARY POPP
gary.popp@newsandtribune.com

JEFFERSONVILLE — Jeffersonville firefighters responded to a home Tuesday afternoon after a stove-top fire got out of control.

Jeffersonville Fire Department Deputy Chief Bruce DeArk said a resident of the home on Ellwanger Avenue was cooking on the kitchen’s stove when a grease fire broke out.

DeArk said the woman had attempted to stop the blaze herself, but firefighters were soon called to the scene and found the home engulfed in flames.

Firefighters gained control of the fire in less than 10 minutes, and no one was injured during the incident, DeArk said.

He said the fire damage was contained to the kitchen area, but flames did spread to the attic.

Firefighters punctured the roof to ventilate the attic while stomping out the fire.

Smoke and water did cause additional damage to other areas of the home, however.

DeArk said the 19 firefighters who responded to the home did a “great job,” which he attributed to the intensive training the men and women undergo throughout the year.