News and Tribune

December 9, 2013

Man remains in critical condition after Jeffersonville shooting

Police: Man who admitted to shooting said it was an accident


JEFFERSONVILLE — Police are still investigating the shooting of a 20-year-old Jeffersonville man, who remains in critical condition at University of Louisville Hospital.

Jeffersonville Police Department officers responded to the 800 block of Cherry Street at about 9:30 p.m. Saturday and arrested Jeremy R. Swank, 34, in connection with the shooting.

According to a probable-cause affidavit, police responded to a report of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the home on Cherry Street. But when officers arrived on the scene, they noticed the positioning of a handgun in the hand of the victim, Michael Metcalf, was unusual.

After talking with doctors at U of L hospital, police were told that a single bullet had entered and exited Metcalf’s right arm and then entered his head.

According to the affidavit, Swank told police he and Metcalf were in the basement of the Cherry Street home and Swank was handling a semi-automatic handgun when he accidentally fired it several times. Swank said he dropped the gun on the floor, realized Metcalf had been shot and then ran upstairs to have someone call 911. Swank then admitted to coming back down to the basement and placing the gun in Metcalf’s hand.

“We’re still investigating what occurred down there,” said Jeffersonville Detective Todd Hollis.

He said police are considering whether or not the shooting was accidental or intentional.

“We’re investigating all of those possibilities,” Hollis said.

Police arrested Swank and he was initially charged with aggravated battery, a class B felony, obstruction of justice, a class D felony, and criminal recklessness, a class A misdemeanor.

Swank is being held in the Michael L. Becher Adult Correctional Complex and appeared in Clark County Circuit Court No. 1 Monday for an advisement of rights. No official charges have been filed against Swank.