News and Tribune

June 25, 2013

Suspect in Sellersburg police shooting identified

Police believe Joshua Priddy, 31, shot Clark County Sheriff's Detective Chris Proctor; charged with attempted murder


SELLERSBURG — The man who police say shot a Clark County Sheriff's Office detective during a nearly 10-hour standoff with police Monday has been identified as Joshua Priddy, 31, of Sellersburg.

Police say Priddy, 818 Iowa St., shot Detective Chris Proctor in the leg after a second round of gas canisters were fired into a home on the 700 block of Delaware Court. He was shot shortly after 3 p.m., when police initially tried to enter the home about three hours into the standoff. Proctor was transported to University of Louisville Hospital with non life-threatening injuries, according to police. He is expected to have surgery today, but Clark County Sheriff Danny Rodden said he is in good spirits and “doing fine.”

He has been preliminarily charged with attempted murder and burglary, both class A felonies, and interfering with or mistreating a service animal (resulting in death), pointing a firearm, criminal recklessness, and residential entry, all class D felonies.

Priddy is scheduled to appear in Clark County Circuit Court No. 1 at 10 a.m. Wednesday.

Kilo, an ISP K-9, also was sent into the home early in the standoff and shots were fired. Police confirmed Monday evening the dog had been killed.

“When we actually entered the house is when the first shots were fired,” said Sellersburg Police Chief Russ Whelan. “There were ... several shots fired by the suspect.” 

Police took Priddy into custody unharmed just before 9:30 p.m. Monday. 

Whelan said Priddy had been hiding in a closet before walking out of the back door of the home under his own will. He was wearing only a torn T-shirt and boxer shorts. 

Officers then transported him to the Michael L. Becher Adult Correctional Complex.

“He will be taken, questioned and get the appropriate help that he obviously needs,” Whelan said soon after Priddy was taken into custody. “I believe it came to the best conclusion that we could have hoped for.”

Whelan said that law enforcement’s next step will be processing the home and collecting evidence to build a case for subsequent prosecution.