News and Tribune

February 25, 2013

Clarksville bar fight leads to three arrests


CLARKSVILLE — Clarksville police officers arrested three people early Sunday morning after a bar fight allegedly turned on police.

According to a Clarksville police report, during a traffic stop  near the Green Tree Mall at about 3 a.m. Sunday, officers overheard yelling and screaming at a nearby bar. Police drove to nearby Jersey’s Cafe, off of Lynch Lane in Clarksville, where they discovered a female, later identified as Tabatha Jackson, 29, kicking the bar’s door and screaming.

Inside the bar, police saw two men fighting, and when officers tried to enter the establishment, Jackson allegedly began fighting one of the officers to keep him from going in the bar. 

Jackson was restrained and arrested, but before police could enter the bar, a man locked the door.

Clarksville police officers were eventually able to force their way into Jersey’s Cafe, and when an officer pulled on one of the individuals involved in the fight, the bar patron allegedly turned on him and began fighting with the police, according to the report.

The bar patron was later identified as Gary Howell, 24, of Clarksville. Officers reportedly took Howell to the ground and he was arrested.

While officers were restraining and cuffing Howell, another man, Wesley Whatt, 24, of Charlestown, reportedly stood and hovered over the officers. In the meantime several additional Clarksville police officers and Clark County Sheriff’s Department officers had arrived on the scene to assist.

A supplemental police report said Whatt was trying to videotape the incident with his cell phone. According to the report he was told several times to back away from the officers. When Whatt did not move away from officers, he was taken to the parking lot and given a field sobriety test, which he failed, according to the report.

He was then placed in custody.

“All three subjects continued cursing and screaming at officers the entire time outside of the bar,” according to the police report. “All three subjects were extremely intoxicated and were being very belligerent with officers. All three had a difficult time holding their own balance.”

According to the various police reports, both Howell and Jackson were yelling at and threatened officers while they were being transported to jail.

The other individual allegedly involved in the bar fight with Howell ran out of the back of Jersey’s Cafe while police were dealing with the commotion.

All three individuals were arrested and booked into the Michael L. Becher Adult Correctional Complex.

Howell was charged with battery to law enforcement and intimidation to law enforcement, both class D felonies, resisting law enforcement, a class A misdemeanor, and disorderly conduct, a class B misdemeanor.

Jackson was charged with resisting law enforcement, a class A misdemeanor, interference with law enforcement, a class A misdemeanor, and public intoxication and disorderly conduct, both class B misdemeanors.

Whatt was charged with interference with law enforcement, a class A misdemeanor, and public intoxication and disorderly conduct, both class B misdemeanors.