News and Tribune

December 9, 2013

Stove causes small fire in New Albany

No one injured in Corydon Pike home

By JEROD CLAPP
jerod.clapp@newsandtribune.com

NEW ALBANY — A bag of clothes left on a stove caused a fire in a house on the 2400 block of Corydon Pike Road on Monday, fire officials say.

At 11:01 a.m., the New Albany Fire Department responded to the call from the homeowner and got four dogs out of the house. Battalion Chief Chris Rainbolt said the fire on top of the stove had gone up the wall and across the ceiling of the kitchen, but didn’t spread anywhere else. He said there was some minor damage in the kitchen and smoke throughout the house.

Maj. Joe Squier, one of the investigators in the house, said the homeowner thought one of her children might have hit one of the burners on the way out, causing the bag of clothes to ignite while she dropped them off at school. He said it’s best to not put anything on top of a stove.

“Even with the burner covers, they can melt and they can catch fire,” Squier said. “The main thing is don’t leave anything on a stove.”