By JEROD CLAPP
NEW ALBANY —
A residential chemical spill with noxious fumes closed down a block of Hausfeldt Lane around 4 p.m. Thursday, fire officials said.
Brian Gadd, New Albany Fire Department deputy chief, said one house near the 600 block of Hausfeldt Lane was evacuated and others nearby were ordered to stay in their homes.
The road was closed down between Reas Lane and Park East Boulevard.
Gadd said the fire department wasn’t sure what chemicals were spilled, but it wasn’t a major incident.
“There’s no real big release of something, but if you get close enough, it’ll definitely get your attention,” Gadd said. “We can’t send anybody up there; we’ve got to get a team up there to see what exactly we’re dealing with.”
New Albany Fire Department Chief Matt Juliot, said the tenant of the property had something of a hoarding situation outside the home. By order of the city, the health department, code enforcement and other crews came to remove some of the tenant’s belongings.
Police responded to the site when the tenant became irate with moving crews. Gadd said police had to leave when unknown chemicals mixed and released fumes that “took their breath away.”
Juliot said his department’s hazardous materials crews were on-site. He said a couple of people were exposed to the chemicals, but cleared and not taken to the hospital.
Gadd said a hazardous materials disposal company was called to identify the chemicals and begin cleanup.