News and Tribune

October 2, 2013

Mental evaluation ordered for Clark County gunman

Henry Campbell is accused of pointing loaded shotgun at Clark County Government Building


JEFFERSONVILLE — A psychological examination and drug test has been ordered for a gunman who caused a temporary lockdown on Tuesday of the Clark County Government Building.

Henry R. Campbell, 63, Highway 60, Sellersburg, was ordered to undergo the testing during a hearing in Clark County Circuit Court No. 1 on Wednesday.

In an episode that lasted about 40 minutes, Campbell is accused of pointing a loaded shotgun at the government center from a truck parked in a nearby lot, prompting a shutdown of part of the facility and leaving officials searching for a motive.

“It was an extremely dangerous situation,” said Clark County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Jeremy Mull, who represented the state in Judge Dan Moore’s court. “I think we were only a trigger pull away from something extremely bad happening there yesterday in the parking lot. Certainly, it was a situation where if he had fired, someone could have been hurt or killed very easily with where he was parked and where [government employees] were located with only a pane of glass between them and the shotgun rounds.”

Mull said witnesses have reported seeing Campbell pulling into a parking space several feet from Watt Street across from the plaza-area side of the adjoining government building and jail.

“[Campbell] was observed by witnesses pointing a loaded shotgun right at the building, specifically towards the second floor of the building and that is where the prosecutor’s offices are located in the building,” Mull said. “Multiple witnesses did observe him do that.”

Brad Jacobs, Campbell’s attorney, said he was in support of Mull’s motion and Moore’s issuance of the drug test and mental psychological examination.

“From what I understand what happened yesterday is far outside his [Campbell’s] personality, so that means there is something else going on,” Jacobs said.

When Jacobs was asked if his client has a history of mental-health issues, he said he didn’t. “And that is the frightening part,” Jacobs said. “He had a stroke a few years ago, so there is a physical problem, but no mental health problems leading up to this, no symptoms, nothing that predicted this in any way, which makes it that much scarier.”

Jacobs said police documents show Campbell had pointed a shotgun at the government building, then added that “ ... no specific person was every in danger and he didn’t threaten anybody. We don’t know what happened yesterday. It is scary.”Jacobs said, at this point, he is more concerned with Campbell’s mental health than understanding his client’s motivation to bring the firearm to Jeffersonville and point it at the government building.

He said Campbell has shared “absolutely nothing” with him in regards to what his intentions were outside of the government building.

Jacobs said he has not asked Campbell what his recollection is of Tuesday’s incident.

Mull said only Campbell knows, at this time, what his motive was.

“We are still investigating exactly what his motivation was for being here,” Mull said. “What I can tell you is that he had a loaded shotgun. There was a round in the chamber. It was pointed at the building, at the exit area where government workers walk out.”

Following the drug test and mental health evaluation, Mull hopes he will have more information to understand Campbell’s actions Tuesday.

“I am doing everything I can to figure out what the dynamics were, what was going on,” he said. “We are continuing our investigation as to whether there were any motives he might have had to be here and harm someone.”

Jacobs said the case is almost a conflict for the attorneys involved as he and Mull were both in the Clark County Government Building during the incident.

“Nobody was really that scared. We just knew that we couldn’t get out, and that something was going on,” Jacobs said. “Nobody was in the corner shaking or anything like that.”

Jacobs said when the incident began, he was preparing to leave, but had to “find a comfortable place to sit and [camp] out for a bit” until Campbell was placed in police custody.

“There is always a danger in this building,” Jacobs said. “You deal with some people who are bad people and some people who have serious problems. It is just part of what we do.”

Campbell is currently being held at the Michael L. Becher Adult Correctional Complex on a $250,000 cash-only bond, but he has not been officially charged.

Another hearing was scheduled for Thursday morning, when Campbell is expected to be charged with class C felony intimidation with a deadly weapon, and criminal recklessness and pointing a firearm, both class D felonies.