News and Tribune

November 2, 2013

Pence announces grants to improve school security

2 area schools receive grants


Associated Press

AVON — Indiana Gov. Mike Pence announced more than $9 million in grants to local schools and school corporations to improve school safety.

Pence said in an announcement Friday at Cedar Elementary School in Avon, 10 miles west of Indianapolis, said the Secured School Safety Grant Program provides matching grants to school corporations, charter schools, or coalitions of school corporations. The funding allows schools to add school resource officers, conduct threat assessments and to purchase equipment to restrict access to school or expedite the notification of first responders.

The grant program was created by the Legislature earlier this year after the Republican-controlled House pulled earlier provisions of a bill that would’ve required all public schools to have gun-carrying employees during school hours.

In Clark and Floyd counties, Clarksville Community School Corp. and Greater Clark County Schools each received $50,000 to employ an SRO.