> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Melanie Stutsman (Western Kentucky volleyball, Floyd Central graduate, Jr.) — weekly stats: 61 assists, nine digs, seven kills, two blocks; top performance: team-high 32 assists, five digs, three kills and two blocks in the Hilltoppers’ 3-0 win over Loyola Marymount in the first round of the NCAA tournament last Friday in Stanford, Calif.; notes: match-high 29 assists, four kills and four digs in Western Kentucky’s 3-0 loss over Stanford last Saturday in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Stutsman has been selected to the American Volleyball Coaches Association All-South Region first team for the third consecutive year. The All-Region team selection makes Stutsman eligible for be picked for the AVCA All-America team; season-ending stats: team-high 1,366 assists, 256 digs, 168 kills, 22 aces; team records: 33-4 overall, 15-0 Sun Belt Conference.
• Brandon Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: three points in the Titans’ 73-62 home loss to Bethel on Tuesday; team records: 6-5 overall, 4-3 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Division I.
• Chris Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 9.5 points per game, 6-of-28 field goals, 0-of-12 3-pointers, 7-of-9 free throws, six rebounds, six assists, two steals; top performance: 13 points, shooting 5-of-17 from the field and 3-of-5 from the line, and three rebounds in the Titans’ 73-62 home setback on Tuesday against Bethel; team records: 6-5 overall, 4-3 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Division I.
• Anthony Lloyd (Ancilla men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: three points in the Chargers’ 87-84 loss last Saturday at Delta; team record: 5-2.
• Cory Neel (Ohio Northern wrestling, So.) — notes: 0-2 record in the 157-pound division at the Ohio Northern University Invitational last Saturday.
• Cody Banet (IU East men’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: two rebounds and two assists in the Red Wolves’ 92-76 loss on Tuesday at Indiana Wesleyan; team record: 5-3.
• Rachel Engle (Western Kentucky volleyball, Fr.) — notes: six digs in the Hilltoppers’ 3-0 victory over Loyola Marymount last Friday in the first round of the NCAA tournament in Stanford, Calif. It was Western Kentucky’s first-ever NCAA tourney win; season-ending stats: 173 digs, 27 aces; team records: 33-4 overall, 15-0 Sun Belt.
• Ashlie Haworth (Lindsey Wilson volleyball, Sr.) — notes: Haworth and the Blue Raiders ended their season last Thursday with a 3-2 victory over Missouri Baptist in their final pool play match of the NAIA Volleyball National Championship tournament in Sioux City, Iowa; season-ending stats: 32 digs, 28 kills; team records: 30-14 overall, 12-3 Mid-South Conference.
• Brigid Morrissey (Furman women’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: two points in the Paladins’ 83-40 loss last Saturday at Chattanooga; team records: 3-4 overall, 0-2 Southern Conference.
• Connor Schellenberg (Purdue Calumet men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: one rebound in the Peregrines’ 81-57 home loss to Cardinal Stritch on Wednesday; team records: 5-6 overall, 2-4 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Division II.
• Brock Slavens (Cincinnati men’s swimming, So.) — top performance: third in the 200-yard freestyle relay at the Miami (Ohio) Invitational last Thursday through last Saturday, 1:23.98; notes: fifth in the 200 medley relay, 1:33.57; sixth in the 400 medley relay, 3:27.14; seventh in the 50 free finals, 21.05; ninth in the 50 free preliminaries, 21.22; 10th in the 400 free relay, 3:07.87; 22nd in the 100 free finals (47.3) and 100 free prelims (47.46).
• Jennifer Smith (Indiana volleyball, Fr.) — notes: Smith has been named to the Academic All-Big Ten team for the fall semester. Smith is a exercise science major.
• Jamie Wallace (Indianapolis volleyball, Fr.) — notes: Wallace and the Greyhounds earned a spot in this week’s NCAA Division II Elite Eight tournament by defeating Hillsdale in the Midwest Regional final last Saturday in Indianapolis, 3-0. Indianapolis faced New Haven in the opening-round match of the Elite Eight on Thursday evening in Pensacola, Fla.; team records: 30-7 overall, 15-3 Great Lakes Valley Conference.
• Zach Blankenbeker (Army men’s swimming, Fr.) — top performance: fifth in the 200 butterfly at the Brown Invitational last Friday through last Sunday, 1:50.71; notes: 17th in the 400 freestyle relay, 3:14.36; Blankenbeker’s 200 butterfly time was the fifth-best in school history.
• Brent Browner (Indiana Tech wrestling, Fr.) — notes: fourth in the 149-pound division with a 4-2 record at the Little State Invitational last weekend in Indianapolis.
• Kegan Clark (IU Southeast men’s basketball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 15.5 points per game, 11-of-29 field goals, 2-of-7 3-pointers, 7-of-16 free throws, 18 rebounds, five assists, five blocked shots, two steals; top performance: team-high 28 points, shooting 10-of-20 from the field, 2-of-6 from 3-point range and 6-of-14 from the line, game-high 12 rebounds, game-high three blocks and two assists in the Grenadiers’ 96-91 home victory over Point Park last Friday; team records: 6-3 overall, 1-0 Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
• Jalynn McClain (Western Kentucky women’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 6.3 points per game, 8-of-26 field goals, 3-of-8 free throws, 18 rebounds, two steals; top performance: 11 points, shooting 5-of-13 from the floor and 1-of-4 from the stripe, and 10 rebounds in the Hilltoppers’ 65-57 win last Thursday at Louisiana-Monroe; team records: 5-2 overall, 3-0 Sun Belt.
• Lakin Roland (Dartmouth women’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: two points per game, 1-of-4 field goals, 4-of-6 free throws, nine rebounds, five assists; notes: five rebounds, two points and two assists in the Big Green’s 73-59 loss last Sunday at Old Dominion; team record: 1-6 overall.
• Trice Whaley (Rend Lake men’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 3.7 points per game; notes: six points, game-high five assists and game-high three steals in the Warriors’ 95-74 home win over Lincoln Trail last Saturday; team records: 8-1 overall, 1-1 Great Rivers Athletic Conference.
• Kamaren Cole (Danville Area Community College women’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: four points per game, 3-of-10 field goals, 2-of-8 3-pointers, nine assists, five rebounds, three steals; notes: eight points, team-high four assists, four rebounds and game-high three steals in the Jaguars’ 72-59 loss on Wednesday at Vincennes; team record: 8-3.
• Donnie Hale (Purdue men’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 4.5 points per game, 4-of-11 field goals, 1-of-2 free throws, 10 rebounds; notes: eight points and five rebounds in the Boilermakers’ 63-57 home loss to Xavier last Saturday; team record: 4-4.
• Parker Henes (IU Southeast men’s basketball, So.) — weekly stats: 1.5 points per game, 1-of-3 field goals, 1-of-2 free throws, six rebounds, two blocked shots; notes: four rebounds, three points and team-high two blocks in IU Southeast’s 78-71 loss on Wednesday at St. Francis; team records: 6-3, 1-0 KIAC.
• Jordy Martin (Rose-Hulman men’s basketball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 2.5 points per game, 2-of-5 field goals, 1-of-4 3-pointers, five assists, two rebounds; notes: three points and three assists in the Engineers’ 63-52 home win over Defiance last Saturday; team records: 6-1 overall, 2-0 Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference.
• Tionna Peters (IU Southeast women’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: Peters saw action in the Grenadiers’ 65-61 home loss last Saturday against Carlow; team records: 4-4 overall, 0-2 KIAC.
• A.J. Schmidt (McKendree men’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 0-of-4 field goals, 0-of-4 3-pointers, 0-of-3 free throws, nine rebounds, seven assistsn three steals; notes: game-high five assists and four rebounds in the Bearcats’ 92-46 home win over Principia on Tuesday; team record: 4-3.
• Chris Whitehead (Danville Area Community College men’s basketball, So.) — top performance: game-high 19 points, shooting 9-of-15 from the field and 1-of-4 from the free-throw line, five rebounds and team-high two assists in the Jaguars’ 83-79 victory on Monday at Wabash Valley College; team record: 9-2.
• Josh Sampson (Wabash wrestling, Jr.) — top performance: second in the 157-pound division with a 3-1 record at the Little State Invitational last weekend in Indianapolis.
• Kallie Ash (Spalding women’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: three rebounds and two points in the Golden Eagles’ 65-62 home win over Eureka last Saturday; team records: 2-2 overall, 1-0 St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
• Megan Eve (Holy Cross women’s basketball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 8.5 points per game, 4-of-17 field goals, 4-of-14 3-pointers, 5-of-6 free throws, five rebounds; top performance: team- and season-high 11 points, shooting 3-of-11 from the field, 3-of-10 from 3-point range and 2-of-2 from the stripe, and three rebounds in the Saints’ 93-59 home loss to Bethel on Tuesday; team records: 3-8 overall, 1-5 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Division II.
• Cody Jackson (Anderson men’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: Jackson saw action in the Ravens’ 75-45 home loss last Saturday to Transylvania; team records: 3-2 overall, 1-1 HCAC.
• Grant Meyer (Quincy men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: five points and two assists in the Hawks’ 81-74 home win over Lindenwood last Saturday; team record: 3-2.
• Shelby Miller (Maryville women’s basketball, So.) — weekly stats: seven points per game, 2-of-12 field goals, 2-of-8 3-pointers, 8-of-8 free throws, five rebounds, four steals, two assists; notes: nine points, game-high three steals, three rebounds and two assists in the Saints’ 81-29 home win over Benedictine last Friday; team records: 4-3 overall, 1-0 GLVC.
• Chris O’Connor (Marian men’s track, Jr.) — notes: fourth in the high jump at the University of Indianapolis Invitational last Saturday, 1.83 meters; eighth in the 600-meter run, 1:32.47.
Weekly stats are from last Thursday to Wednesday. If you have any information on an area college athlete, contact Kevin Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
ON THE SPOT: Ellis has big senior year ahead of him
Jeff senior, Devils will have to wait another week to get started
Friday, Saturday events postponed due to winter storm
New Albany-Harrison boys basketball postponed
1:30 P.M. UPDATE: Sports postponements
Jeff boys, girls basketball; HHC duals among postponements
GIRLS' SWIMMING PREVIEW: Jeff believes it can compete with Highlanders for HHC, sectional
Six-time defending champion Floyd still sectional favorite
H.S. GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Red Devils hold off Floyd Central, 64-59
Jeff’s Hines nailed six 3-pointers to score game-high 24
H.S. ROUNDUP: North Harrison edges New Albany, 48-41
Tye, Johnson lead New Wash past Rock Creek
CROSS COUNTRY: Passing on the love of running
Fleming taking Southern Indiana Running Club to national meet
OVERTIME HEARTBREAK: Austin girls outdual Charlestown, 56-49
Eastern outscore Pirates 11-4 in OT for MSC victory
TEN TO WATCH: Pait, Devils ready to get started
High school basketball picks
H.S. ROUNDUP: Dragons earn first win, 70-47 over Clarksville
Barnett scores 15 to lead Creek
- More Sports Headlines
- ON THE SPOT: Ellis has big senior year ahead of him