> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
CORYDON CENTRAL AT EASTERN
Corydon Central has become what we expected of Charlestown in 2013. The Pantherns are unbeaten through four weeks despite an offense that has struggled to score.
The Panther defense has surrendered just 33 points in four games. Although Eastern scored 55 points against Clarksville, I’m guessing the Musketeer offense that has scored just 22 games in its other three games combined isn’t exactly striking fear into the hearts of Darin Ward and his dominant defense.
• THE PICK: Corydon Central 26, Eastern 6.
INDIANAPOLIS MANUAL AT PROVIDENCE
My No. 1 guarantee Pick of the Year is Providence over Manual. The prospect of playing the Pioneers is so scary that the Redskins might as well not even show up.
• THE PICK: Providence 2, Manual 0 (the official score of a forfeited game).
COMPILED BY KEVIN HARRIS
FLOYD CENTRAL AT JEFFERSONVILLE
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Blair Field.
• RECORDS: Floyd Central 3-1, 2-0 Hoosier Hills Conference; Jeff 4-0, 3-0.
• SERIES RECORD: Jeff leads 25-13.
• SERIES STREAK: Jeff won last year; Floyd Central has prevailed in three of the last four meetings.
• LAST MEETING: Sept. 14, 2012 at Ron Weigleb Stadium — Jeff 63, Floyd Central 15.
• KEY FACTS: The 63 points that the Red Devils scored against Floyd Central last season were the most they have registered in the 34-year-old series. Prior to last year’s matchup, the highest point total for Jeff against the Highlanders happened in 2007 in a 53-0 victory. … Floyd Central’s 84 points in last week’s 41-point win over Seymour easily broke the Highlanders’ single-game scoring record. The previous mark was 63 points in Floyd Central’s season opener in 2007 versus Clarksville.
• ANALYSIS: Floyd Central has got to run the ball like it did versus the Owls and shorten the game against the high-powered Red Devils. Plus the Highlanders’ defense has to limit as many big plays by Jeff as possible. If this game is a shootout, the advantage goes to the Devils.