> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
CLASS 5A SECTIONAL 8
NEW ALBANY AT JEFFERSONVILLE
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Blair Field
• RECORDS: New Albany 5-4, Jeffersonville 6-3.
• SERIES RECORD: New Albany leads 48-34-5.
• SERIES LAST 10 YEARS: New Albany leads 9-4.
• LAST MEETING: Sept. 28, 2012 at Blair Field — Jeff 49, New Albany 12.
• KEY FACTS: The Red Devils have won four of their seven postseason meetings with New Albany. The Bulldogs prevailed in their last sectional matchup with Jeff, winning 32-13 at Buerk Field in the Sectional 8 first round in 2010. Friday’s game will be only the second time Jeff and New Albany have met in a postseason game at Blair Field. The first instance was in 1986, which the Bulldogs won 23-20. … Junior tight end Dionte Allen became the Red Devils’ all-time leader in receiving yards last week against Jennings County with 77 yards on two catches. Allen, who currently has 1,368 career receiving yards, passed former Jeff wide receiver Tony Moore for the top spot.
• MATCHUP TO WATCH: Jeff running back Austin Hines vs. New Albany’s defense — Hines had an unbelievable game against the Bulldogs in the regular-season matchup. The junior compiled 153 total yards, 121 of them on the ground, and scored five touchdowns (three rushing, two receiving). The New Albany defense must be more aware of Hines’ whereabouts on Friday night if it wants to advance to the sectional semifinals next week.
CASTLE AT FLOYD CENTRAL
• TIME: 7:30 p.m.
• PLACE: Ron Weigleb Stadium.
• RECORDS: Floyd Central 2-7, Castle 9-0.
• SERIES RECORD: Castle leads 4-1.
• SERIES LAST 10 YEARS: Castle leads 2-1.
• LAST MEETING: Nov. 5, 2010 at Ron Weigleb Stadium — Castle 45, Floyd Central 44, OT, Class 5A Sectional 8 championship.
• KEY FACTS: All of the five meetings between the Highlanders and the Knights have occurred in Sectional 8. Floyd Central’s lone victory versus Castle happened in the 2009 Sectional 8 final, 42-32. That was the Highlanders’ second sectional championship. … The Knights currently have an 18-game regular-season winning streak. They have scored more than 40 points in 11 of those 18 wins. Castle’s last regular-season loss came on Oct. 16, 2010 at Evansville Memorial, 35-21.
• MATCHUP TO WATCH: Castle quarterback Mitch Gilles vs. Floyd Central’s pass defense — The Highlanders’ pass defense has been respectable this season, allowing 147.9 yards per game. But Floyd Central faces a huge challenge against Gilles, who has a completion percentage of 63 percent this season and averages 263.1 passing yards per contest, which ranks sixth in the state. He is second in the state in passing touchdowns with 29. Gilles threw for 346 yards in the Knights’ 56-17 win last Friday at Evansville Memorial.