> SOUTHERN INDIANA — (Weekly stats are from last Friday to Thursday.)
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Ben Engle (IUPUI men’s golf, Floyd Central graduate, Sr.) — top performance: second in the Summit League Men’s Golf Championship on Monday and Tuesday in Primm, Nev., with a three-round score of 207, 6-under-par (62 in the first round, 70 in the second, 75 in the final); notes: Engle made the Summit League Championship all-tournament team; Engle’s 62 in the first round set both a school and Summit League Championship record, helping him lead the tournament after the first and second rounds; the Jaguars won the Summit League championship for the first time since 2006; Engle made the all-Summit League second team last Sunday.
• Dylan Martin (Ancilla baseball, Fr.) — notes: 0-for-4 in the Chargers’ 6-4 home loss to Mott Community College last Saturday in the first game of a doubleheader; team records: 9-26 overall, 4-16 Michigan Community College Athletic Association.
• Justin Baxtron (Indiana State men’s track, Jr.) — top performance: second in the 200-meter run in the Polytan Invitational last weekend in Bloomington, 21.45, personal record; notes: fourth in the 100, 10.9.
• Kelsey Becker (Wilmington softball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 1-for-15, one run scored, one RBI; notes: 1-for-1 with a run scored and an RBI in the Quakers’ 16-5 victory in five innings on Monday at Mt. St. Joseph’s in the second game of a doubleheader; team records: 16-22 overall, 5-11 Ohio Athletic Conference.
• Jordan Batliner (IU Southeast softball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 2-for-7, one run scored, one RBI; 0-0 record, 1 2/3 innings pitched, no runs allowed, one hit, one strikeout, no walks; notes: 1-for-1 with a run scored in the Grenadiers’ 5-4 home win over Berea last Saturday in the second game of a doubleheader; team records: 25-17 overall, 14-2 Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference; Batliner’s record: 0-0.
• Ben Boesing (Southern Indiana men’s tennis, Jr.) — weekly stats: 2-1 singles record, 3-0 doubles record; top performance: No. 3 singles win (6-2, 6-0) and No. 3 doubles victory (8-3) in the Screaming Eagles’ 5-2 triumph over Northern Kentucky in the third-place match of the Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament last Saturday in Springfield, Mo.; notes: USI has received an at-large berth in the NCAA Division II tournament for the third consecutive season; the Screaming Eagles will face Northern Kentucky in the Midwest Preliminary Round today in Midland, Mich.; team records: 21-3 overall, 5-0 GLVC.
• Bethany Huber (Southern Indiana women’s golf, Fr.) — notes: 55th at the University of Illinois-Springfield Shootout last weekend with a two-round score of 197, 53-over-par (97 in the first round, 100 in the final).
• Meghan Jones (Bellarmine women’s track, So.) — top performance: first in the 1,600 relay in the Eastern Kentucky Open last Friday, 3:53.45; notes: Jones ran the anchor leg in the 1,600 relay in a time of 54.2 seconds, making up a 30-plus-meter deficit to Marshall, which was leading at the time, to win the race; third in high jump, 1.55 meters.
• Emma LaDuke (IU Southeast women’s tennis, Sr.) — notes: No. 4 singles loss (8-2) and No. 1 doubles setback (8-0) in the Grenadiers’ 9-0 loss to host Indiana Wesleyan in the Mark Richards Classic last Saturday; team records: 18-5 overall, 16-0 KIAC.
• Samantha McClure (Tennessee-Martin softball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 3-for-8, two doubles, one run scored; top performance: 2-for-3 with two doubles and a run scored in the Skyhawks’ 5-1 victory last Sunday at Morehead State in the first game of a doubleheader; team records: 33-16 overall, 20-3 Ohio Valley Conference.
• Meghan McRae (IU Southeast softball, So.) — notes: a run scored in IU Southeast’s 5-4 home win over Berea in Game 2 of a doubleheader last Saturday; team records: 25-17 overall, 14-2 KIAC.
• Brittany Mills (Ohio State softball, Jr.) — notes: Mills came in as a pinch runner in the Buckeyes’ 11-2 home loss last Saturday to Nebraska in the first game of a doubleheader; team records: 27-18 overall, 6-8 Big Ten.
• Nick Peters (U.S. Coast Guard Academy baseball, Sr.) — top performance: winning pitcher in a starting role in the Bears’ 17-5 victory over Mitchell on Wednesday, three innings pitched, one run allowed (earned), two hits, five walks, one strikeout; notes: Peters made his first career start against Mitchell and got his first career victory in the game; 1-for-4 with an RBI in the Bears’ 13-10 home win over Framingham State last Friday; season-ending stats: 1-0 record, 3.54 ERA; team records: 14-21 overall, 6-12 New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference.
• Katie Phillips (Spalding softball, Sr.) — notes: 1-for-3 with a triple, four RBIs and one run scored in the Golden Eagles’ 9-0 home victory over Eureka in five innings last Saturday in the first game of a doubleheader; team records: 25-10 overall, 10-3 St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
• Rena Philpot (Spalding softball, Sr.) — top performance: winning pitcher in a starting role in the Golden Eagles’ 9-0 home win over Eureka in five innings last Saturday in Game 1 of a doubleheader, no-hitter, eight strikeouts, no walks; also, 2-for-3 with an RBI; team records: 25-10 overall, 10-3 SLIAC; Philpot’s record: 13-4.
• Jeffrey Thompson (Louisville baseball, So.) — top performance: winning pitcher in the Cardinals’ 12-1 win last Sunday at South Florida in the completion of a suspended game, six innings pitched, one run allowed (unearned), two hits, six strikeouts, five walks; team records: 29-12 overall, 10-5 Big East; Thompson’s record: 8-1.
• Kelsey Wisman (IU Southeast women’s tennis, Sr.) — notes: No. 1 singles loss (6-1, 6-0) and No. 2 doubles loss (8-0) in the Grenadiers’ 9-0 loss to host Indiana Wesleyan in the Mark Richards Classic last Saturday; team records: 18-5 overall, 16-0 KIAC.
• Libby Wright (St. Mary-of-the-Woods softball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 9-for-25, 15 RBIs, seven runs scored, three doubles, one triple, one home run; top performance: 3-for-3 with two doubles, four RBIs and three runs scored in the Pomeroys’ 13-2 victory in five innings on Thursday at Principia in Game 1 of a doubleheader; notes: a homer in St. Mary’s 11-3 home win over Oakland City on Monday in the nightcap of a twinbill; team record: 26-20 overall.