NEW ALBANY’S 2013-14 OUTLOOK
• COACH: Jim Shannon (263-86 heading into his 16th season at New Albany, 428-225 heading into his 30th season overall).
• 2012-13 RECORD: 15-8.
• RETURNING STARTERS: Leondre McBirth (6-0, Sr., G).
• OTHER KEY RETURNING PLAYERS: Jeff Byrne (6-1, Jr., F); Javen Reeves (5-11, Sr., F); Chad Hudson (5-7, Jr., G).
• DEPARTURES: Jermaine Parrish (6-0, G); Garrett Arnold (6-0, F); Josh Rogers (6-3, F); Louis Donastorg (6-3, C); Anthony Edwards (6-5, C); Conner Henes (6-5, C).
• 2012-13 SEASON RECAP: After getting off to a mediocre 4-4 start, the Bulldogs concluded the regular season by winning nine of their last 11 games. They thumped Seymour in the opening round of the Class 4A Seymour Sectional (85-30) and held off Jennings County in the semifinals (61-59). But New Albany failed to win its first sectional title since 2011, losing to archrival Jeffersonville in the sectional final 63-50. The Bulldogs finished third in the Hoosier Hills Conference with a 5-2 league record. Parrish earned a spot on the News and Tribune All-Area second team.
• 2013-14 PRESEASON EXPECTATIONS: The Bulldogs must have several young and inexperienced players grow up in a hurry if they are to contend for the HHC and sectional championships next season. McBirth will have to step up his leadership role on the team and remain healthy. Byrne has the potential to be a double-digit scorer at New Albany as he can shoot the ball effectively, especially from 3-point range. Hudson got his opportunity late last season to play point guard and showed he can get the job done running the offense.