By KEVIN HARRIS
NEW ALBANY —
The Silver Creek 11-12-year-old Softball All-Stars clinched a spot in Monday’s District 5 Tournament championship game on Wednesday night at Grant Line Elementary School with a 15-1 win over Jeff/GRC in four innings.
Ten different Silver Creek players scored, led by Jordan Balz with four runs. Creek’s Dayna Wilson had one of the biggest hits of the game, smacking a three-run single to center field in the third inning.
Silver Creek starting pitcher Abby Whitlock threw two innings of no-hit ball, striking out five.
Jeff/GRC’s only run came in the bottom of the fourth as Lexi White scored on a two-out base hit by Antonia Ray.
Silver Creek is attempting to win its eighth consecutive District 5 title.
NEXT: Silver Creek (2-0) vs. New Albany, 8 p.m., Saturday; Jeff/GRC (0-2) vs. Charlestown, 5:30 p.m., Saturday.
• Jeff/GRC rolls past Clarksville: Jeff/GRC collected 20 hits to defeat Clarksville on Wednesday at Mount Tabor Park in four innings, 26-0.
Jeff/GRC’s Noah Hernandez went 3-for-3 with two runs scored. Collecting two hits for Jeff/GRC were Brady Latham, Drew Taylor, Luke Stock, Dylan Robinson, Joseph LaGrange and Turon Mitchell.
Latham, Stock and Jack Ellis each hit home runs in the game, with Latham and Stock each smacking grand slams.
Taylor, Latham, Ellis and teammate Andrew Fifer combined to throw a one-hit shutout.
NEXT: Jeff/GRC (2-0) vs. New Albany, 8 p.m., next Tuesday; Clarksville (0-2) vs. HYR, 8 p.m., Saturday.
• English tosses no-hitter in Jeff’s 10-0 win: On Tuesday, Ethan English tossed a no-hitter to lead Jeff/GRC past Charlestown in five innings, 10-0. Latham went 2-for-2 with a double, four runs scored and two stolen bases.
NEXT: Charlestown (0-1) vs. New Albany, 5:30 p.m., Saturday.
• Jeff/GRC tops Silver Creek: In the tournament opener for both teams, Jeff/GRC defeated Silver Creek in four innings on Wednesday, 21-0.
Jeff/GRC’s Gavin Seebold and Dylan Ray Thomas combined to throw a no-hitter.
For Jeff/GRC at the plate, Eli Watson went 2-for-2 with three runs scored and an RBI, Grant Paradowski was 2-for-2 with two RBIs and Kyle Tincher went 2-for-4 with four RBIs.
NEXT: Jeff/GRC (1-0) vs. Charlestown, 7 p.m., Friday; Silver Creek (0-1) vs. Highlander Youth Recreation, 8 p.m., Saturday.
• New Albany no-hits Charlestown: On Tuesday, four New Albany pitchers combined to throw a four-inning, no-hitter in a 15-0 victory against Charlestown. The NA pitchers were Tucker Biven, Hunter Spreigler, Nick Sexton and Mitchell Meyer, who combined to strike out eight.
Austin Oppel led the New Albany bats, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored.
NEXT: New Albany (1-0) vs. Clarksville, 5:30 p.m., Saturday; Charlestown (0-1) vs. Jeff/GRC, 7 p.m., Friday.
• New Albany beats Creek: New Albany opened up tournament play on Wednesday with an 18-1 victory over Silver Creek in four innings. New Albany’s Alexia Flannery had four runs scored. Sydney Sierota plated Silver Creek’s lone run.
NEXT: New Albany (1-0) vs. Clarksville, 8 p.m., Friday; Silver Creek (0-2) vs. Jeff/GRC, 5:30 p.m., Friday.
• Clarksville-Charlestown suspended: The Clarksville-Charlestown game on Wednesday got suspended. According to a District 5 Tournament official, the game is expected to resume on Saturday.
NEXT: Clarksville (1-0) vs. New Albany, 8 p.m., Friday; Charlestown (0-1) vs. Clarksville, completion of suspended game, time TBA, Saturday; then, Charlestown (0-1) vs. Silver Creek, 8 p.m., Saturday.
• Gaither nearly hits for cycle in Jeff/GRC win: On Tuesday at Grant Line, Savannah Gaither was a home run away from hitting for the cycle in Jeff/GRC’s 12-1 win over Charlestown. Gaither had four hits, which were two doubles, a single and a triple.
NEXT: Jeff/GRC (1-0) vs. Silver Creek, 5:30 p.m., Friday.
• Jeff/GRC downs New Albany: On Tuesday, Camryn Teague nearly pitched a perfect game in Jeff/GRC’s 11-1 victory in five innings over New Albany. It was the 13-14-year-old division opener.
For Jeff/GRC, Juliette Schuur went 3-for-3 with three runs scored and Kaylee Strong was 3-for-3 with two RBIs. Alexis McLemore scored the lone run for New Albany.
NEXT: Jeff/GRC (1-0) vs. Charlestown, 7 p.m., Friday; New Albany (0-1) vs. Charlestown, 7 p.m., Monday.
• Silver Creek defeats Charlestown in five: On Tuesday, Silver Creek collected 11 hits to defeat Charlestown in five innings at Mount Tabor Field, 16-2. It was the tournament opener for both teams.
NEXT: Silver Creek (1-0) vs. Clarksville, 5:30 p.m., Saturday; Charlestown (0-1) vs. HYR, 5:30 p.m., Tuesday.
• Charlestown-HYR game postponed: Wednesday night’s game between Charlestown and HYR was postponed due to rain. It has been rescheduled for 5:30 p.m. next Tuesday.