By GREG MENGELT
Trent Astle threw six shutout innings on Monday to help Jeffersonville to a 9-2 win over Louisville Trinity at Don Poole Field and a 2-0 start.
Astle held the Shamrocks to two hits while striking out nine on 80 pitches.
“Trent was the same workhorse he’s been on the mound the last three years,” first-year Devils manager Derek Ellis said. “He got us a 9-0 lead and we were able to shut him down.”
Seven different Jeff batters got at least one hit. The Red Devils’ Drew Ellis and Chandler Dale hit two hits apiece. Ellis had a triple.
“Drew hit the ball well,” Derek Ellis said of his junior son. “He got us rolling.”
Josh Burke knocked in a pair of Jeff runners.
The Red Devils will travel to Floyd Central for their first Hoosier Hills Conference game on Wednesday.
• Mustangs fall in opener: Host Salem jumped out to a 5-0 lead and held off New Washington for a 6-3 win on Monday. Danny Nix and Corey Snider had doubles for the Mustangs.
NEXT: New Washington (0-1) at Silver Creek, Tuesday.
• Highlanders improve to 4-0: Floyd Central scored seven runs in the first three innings to defeat Salem 8-4 on Monday to improve to 4-0 on the season.
Kaitlyn Dreher had a triple, a single and two RBIs in the victory.
On Saturday, the Highlanders defeated Eastern Greene 10-0 and New Washington 8-2 to complete the Bedford North Lawrence Invitational with a 3-0 record. Floyd Central pitcher Kassie King struck out nine in the win over Eastern Greene, and Dreher scored three times against New Wash.
NEXT: Floyd Central (4-0) at Jennings County, Tuesday.
• New Albany also 3-0 at Bedford: New Albany also beat Eastern Greene (8-4) and New Washington (12-6) to go 3-0 after beating Edgewood 7-1 on Friday at Bedford.
The Bulldogs’ Hannah Morton got the win in the pitching circle and had three hits against Edgewood. Teammate McKenzie Gill was the winner against New Washington and New Albany’s Brooke McCoy got a win and three hits against Eastern Greene.
The Bulldogs’ Danielle Williamson also homered in the victory over Eastern Greene.
NEXT: New Albany (3-0) at Madison, Tuesday.
TRACK AND FIELD
• Jeff sweeps Providence: Host Jeffersonville earned a sweep of Providence on Monday.
The Red Devils girls beat the Pioneers 81-50, while the Jeff boys won 85-42. Nycia Ford shined for the Jeff girls with wins in the 100-meter hurdles, the shot put and the discus. On the boys’ side, the Devils won nine events, including a pair of victories by Tyrell Dowdell and Guy Oliver.
NEXT: Jeff and Providence at Jeff Inferno Invitational, Friday and Saturday.
• Red Devil girls sixth in Lenny Lyles Invite: On Saturday, the Jeff girls’ team tallied 42 points to finish sixth in the Lenny Lyles Invitational at Louisville Central. Ford placed second in the shot put, teammate Alex Morgan was third in the high jump, and Jeff’s Chelsea Lewis ended up third in the triple jump with a new school record.