• Pioneers edge Clarksville: Providence got victories at No. 1 singles and both doubles positions to defeat Clarksville on Monday at Community Park in New Albany, 3-2.
At one singles, Pioneer senior Jacqueline Hollkamp upped her record to 10-1 with a 6-1, 6-1 win over the Generals’ Jackie Slaten. Providence’s victorious doubles teams were Kelsey Haas and Mary Ann Fitzpatrick at the No. 1 spot and Abbie Shelton and Brianna Jacobi at No. 2.
“Today, we played two new doubles teams and I was very pleased with the efforts of all four players,” Pioneers’ coach Vince DiNoto said. “They seemed to work well together and was pleased to see how well they moved on the courts together.”
Winning for Clarksville were Abigail Hurtgen at No. 2 singles and Miranda DeKorte at No. 3 singles.
NEXT: Providence at Charlestown, Thursday; Clarksville at North Harrison, today.
• Pirates second at Mooresville Invitational: On Saturday, Charlestown finished second at the Mooresville Invitational, losing 5-0 to Indianapolis Chatard in the championship match. The Pirates defeated Indianapolis Pike in the semifinal, 3-2.
NEXT: Charlestown hosts Christian Academy, today.
• Highlanders ninth, Pioneers 11th at Spring Preview: On Saturday at The Legends Golf Club in Franklin, Floyd Central finished ninth and Providence placed 11th at the Legends Spring Preview. The Highlanders’ Devin Jenkins and the Pioneers’ Cory Cahalan each led their respective teams by shooting a 76.
NEXT: Floyd Central, Providence at Corydon Central Invitational (Old Capital), Saturday; Providence also at Bedford North Lawrence Invitational (Stone Crest), Saturday.
Here are the following make-up dates:
• Clarksville at Providence baseball, 7 p.m., Friday.
• Floyd Central at Providence baseball, 6 p.m., Monday, May 13.