CLASS 2A SECTIONAL 39
• Providence 34, Triton Central 21: Triton Central’s resume is awfully impressive, but the Tigers don’t play nearly the schedule Providence does. After blowout wins over Jeffersonville and Charlestown in the second half of the regular season, I’m convinced the Pioneers are the real deal and are destined for a sectional championship.
• Paoli 42, Clarksville 8: It was nice to see Clarksville get a win over Crawford County a week ago. The Generals celebrated like they won a sectional — and they should have. However, Paoli is not Crawford County. In fact, the Rams beat the Wolfpack 57-12 on Oct. 4.
COMPILED BY KEVIN HARRIS
CLASS 6A SECTIONAL 8
CENTER GROVE AT JEFFERSONVILLE
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Blair Field.
• RECORDS: Jeff 6-4, Center Grove 9-1.
• SERIES RECORD: Center Grove 1-0.
• SERIES STREAK: Center Grove won the only meeting in series history.
• LAST MEETING: Nov. 13, 1987 at Center Grove — Center Grove 17, Jeff 14, Class 5A regional.
• KEY FACTS: In the lone matchup in series history, former Red Devil place-kicker Tom Behringer missed a field goal late in the 1987 regional to allow the Trojans to win their first regional title. Jeff’s James Lewis compiled 185 total yards, as he 89 yards rushing and 96 yards receiving. Center Grove handed the Red Devils their only loss of the season, as Jeff ended up 11-1. … The Trojans and the Devils each rank in the top 10 in Class 6A in scoring average. Center Grove is fourth in 6A at 39.6 points per game, while Jeff rates ninth at 33.1 points a contest. The Trojans also are third in 6A in average final margin at 22.5 points per game, while the Red Devils are 10th at 9.9.
• ANALYSIS: Jeff must play very fundamentally sound if it is to upset Class 6A No. 3 Center Grove. That means no turnovers, a low number of penalties and being solid on special teams. Plus the Trojans are going to have to not be as sharp as they have been all season if the Red Devils are to win their first sectional title since 2007.