ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Josh Sampson (Wabash wrestling, New Washington graduate, Sr.) — top performance: first in the 165-pound division at the Mid-States Conference Tournament last Saturday in Crawfordsville with a 3-0 record that included two pins and a major decision; notes: Sampson was named the Most Outstanding Wrestler at last Saturday’s meet; The Little Giants won the Mid-States title with 170 points; Last Thursday, Sampson collected a 165-pound victory by pin (4:02) in Wabash’s 42-10 win at Trine.
• Brandon Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, So.) — weekly stats: 7.7 points per game 9-18 field goals, 4-8 3-pointers, 1-2 free throws, six rebounds, three assists, two steals; top performance: 17 points, shooting 6-of-8 from the floor, 4-of-5 from 3-point range and 1-of-2 from the line, and four rebounds in the Titans’ 94-68 home victory over Trinity Christian on Feb. 10; team records: 11-16 overall, 7-10 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference.
• Chris Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 15 points per game, 16-29 field goals, 5-9 3-pointers, 8-10 free throws, 13 assists, eight rebounds, two blocked shots, two steals; top performance: 18 points, shooting 7-of-11 from the field, 2-of-3 from 3-point range and 2-of-2 from the line, six assists, four rebounds and game-high two blocked shots in the Titans’ 94-68 home win over Trinity Christian on Feb. 10; team records: 11-16 overall, 7-10 CCAC.
• Tyler Willinger (Calhoun Community College baseball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 5-for-16, two doubles, two runs scored, one stolen base; top performance: 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored in the Warhawks’ 5-0 victory at Northeast Mississippi Community College on Tuesday in Game 1 of a doubleheader; team record: 3-5.
• Aaron Hayes (IU Southeast men’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 2.7 points per game, 2-4 field goals, 1-1 3-pointers, 3-3 free throws, three rebounds, two assists; notes: five points in the Grenadiers’ 111-80 home win over Berea last Thursday; team records: 21-3 overall, 15-0 Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
• Aidan McEwen (Taylor men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: one rebound and one assist in the Trojans’ 71-46 home loss against Indiana Wesleyan; team records: 11-17 overall, 5-12 Crossroads League.
• Deahna Welcher (Lipscomb women’s tennis, Jr.) — notes: No. 1 singles victory (3-6, 6-2 (10-6)) and No. 1 doubles loss (6-2) in the Bisons’ 4-3 home win over Austin Peay last Saturday; team record: 5-2.