After throwing a no-hitter last Wednesday against Madison Shawe, Charlestown’s Drew Reich allowed just one hit in the Pirates’ 7-0 Mid-Southern Conference baseball victory over Eastern on Monday.
The only hit Reich allowed was an infield single to Kaleb Nicholson in the bottom of the sixth inning.
“It was a bang-bang play,” Charlestown coach Ricky Romans said. “[The umpire] said our first baseman pulled his foot. I asked him, ‘Are you serious? You’re going to make that call?’ He has to know the situation. It is what it is.”
Reich struck out 13 and walked just one to improve to 3-0 on the season.
“He’s done a great job for us so far,” Romans said of Reich. “Tonight, he had much better command of all of his pitches, and the defense made plays behind him when [the Musketeers] did put the ball in play.”
Jason Houchens was 3-for-3 with an RBI, Colin Martin had two hits, including a double, and Tyler Willinger was 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Pirates, who improved to 5-2 overall and 1-0 in the MSC.
Charlestown will host Corydon Central in its second MSC contest on Thursday.
• Howell stars in Dragons’ 5-4 win: Brooks Howell had two doubles, including the game-winning two-RBI double with the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh to give Silver Creek a 5-4 MSC victory over Salem on Monday.
Howell also pitched five innings without giving up an earned run in the win. Cody Razer and Cameron Cook also had doubles for Creek.
NEXT: Silver Creek (6-1, 2-0 MSC) at Borden, tonight.
• Jeff blanks Eastern: Kayleigh Thomas and Emily Gray combined to throw a two-hit shutout in Jeff’s 10-0 home win in five innings over Eastern on Monday. The Red Devils’ Emma Coons, Courtney Shepherd and Tiffany Sheets each collected two hits, while Eastern’s Laken Heavner had two hits.
NEXT: Jeff (3-3) at New Washington, Wednesday; Eastern (1-5) hosts Silver Creek, today.
• New Wash tops Generals: New Washington took advantage of five Clarksville errors and defeated the host Generals 8-5 on Monday.
Whitney Morris held Clarksville to five hits and picked up the win for the Mustangs. Bailey Sharp had a two-RBI single in the seventh to get the Generals within 8-5.
NEXT: Clarksville (4-2) hosts Corydon Central, tonight; New Washington (3-3) hosts Jeffersonville, Wednesday.
• Creek picks up MSC win: Silver Creek improved to 2-0 in the MSC with a 9-6 win over Charlestown on Monday.
Shayla Cravens was the winning pitcher and Olivia Scarbrough had a double for Creek. Alyssa Price was 3-for-4 with two doubles and a home run for the Pirates.
NEXT: Charlestown (3-1, 1-1 MSC) hosts North Harrison, tonight; Silver Creek (6-1, 2-0 MSC) at Eastern, tonight.
• Hornets get by Scottsburg: Ashtyn Kaskie held Scottsburg to a single run in the fifth inning as Henryville defeated Scottsburg 3-1 on Monday.
NEXT: Henryville (4-3) at Southwestern, Thursday.