> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
• Dragons sweep Brownstown: Host Silver Creek took care of Brownstown Central in its MSC opener on Monday, 5-0.
The most competitive match of the afternoon was at No. 1 singles. After dropping the first set, Dragon senior Nick Sprinkle won the final two sets over the Braves’ Kent Criminger, 4-6, 7-5, 6-0.
Silver Creek’s other victors were Brennan Thompson at No. 2 singles, Jake Steele at No. 3 singles, Gabe Bauer and Isaac Corum at No. 1 doubles and Max Moore and Noah Eckert at No. 2 doubles.
“I think we’re growing as the year goes along here,” Dragons’ coach Robert Briscoe said. “It’s always nice to get the first conference win, especially against a team like Brownstown, which is always toward the top of the Mid-Southern.”
NEXT: Silver Creek (2-0, 1-0 MSC) hosts Providence, today.
• Pioneers cruise past Madison: Host Providence won each match in straight sets in a 5-0 victory over Madison on Monday at Community Park in New Albany.
Singles victors for the Pioneers were Will Andres, Jacob Quinkert and Landon Carrico. Winning in doubles action for Providence were Ryan Day and Ben Arnson at the No. 1 position and Nolan Carrico and Patrick McPhillips at No. 2.
“Our team plays better as matches evolve. We are getting pretty good at making adjustments, and our conditioning is very good,” Pioneers’ coach Scott Gurgol said. “But I told our guys that we have to start matches better. In our first two matches and today, we gave up too many games early in matches. We have to get better at jumping out to early leads. Forgetting their first three games, today was the best our No. 2 doubles have looked on the season.”
NEXT: Providence at Silver Creek, today.
• Generals lose to Austin: Clarksville got swept in its season opener against visiting Austin on Monday, 5-0. The Generals won only two games and forfeited both doubles matches.
NEXT: Clarksville (0-1, 0-1 MSC) hosts Henryville, today.
• Eastern claims Musketeer Invite title: On Saturday, host Eastern won four of the five individual championships to capture the Musketeer Invitational title with 18 points. Henryville placed second with nine points, followed by Southwestern (five) and Christian Academy (three).
Winning individual crowns for Eastern were Alex Doebler at No. 1 singles, Grant Newcomb at two singles, Jordan Gray at No. 3 singles and Terry Chism and Clayton Marshall at one doubles.
The Henryville doubles team of Luke Davidson and Conrad Beyl claimed the No. 2 doubles championship.
NEXT: Eastern at Clarksville, Wednesday; Henryville at Clarksville, today; Christian Academy hosts New Washington, today.
• Braves go 2-1 in BNL Tourney: On Saturday, Borden posted a 2-1 record in the Bedford North Lawrence Tournament.
The Braves defeated both the Stars’ varsity team (3-2) and junior varsity squad (5-0). Borden lost to Bloomfield, 3-2.
The Braves’ Cody Craddock went 3-0 at No. 3 singles. Going 2-1 for Borden were Josh Vollstedt at No. 1 singles and Joseph Vollstedt at two singles. The Braves' Dylan Scott and Dawson Nale went 2-0 at No. 2 doubles.
NEXT: Borden at Salem, today.