• COACH: Samantha Reynolds (first season).
• LAST YEAR’S RECORD: 2-19.
• OUTLOOK: The Musketeers will try to bounce back from a disappointing 2013 campaign. That will not be easy with Eastern playing in the competitive MSC and facing tough nonconference foes like Providence and Lanesville.
• NOTE: Reynolds could not be reached for comment. Eastern’s returning letterwinners and newcomers could not be obtained at press time.
• COACH: Scott Castleberry (second season).
• LAST YEAR’S RECORD: 20-6.
• RETURNING LETTERWINNERS: Taylor McClure, Sr., C/OF; Taylor Batliner, Sr., 1B/2B; Morgan Harper, Sr., P/OF; Kassie King, So., P/1B; Regan Hadley, So., C/3B/SS; Gabbi Jenkins, So., SS/OF; Clara Shean, Jr., OF; Caroline Cato, Sr., P/1B; Katelin Dreher, Sr., 1B/2B.
• KEY NEWCOMERS: Taylor Castleberry, Fr., OF; Maddie Probus, So., 2B/3B/SS; Paige Meyer, Fr., OF; Amber Mahan, Sr., 1B/3B; Jensen Striegel, Fr., OF.
• OUTLOOK: The Highlanders have the experience, the pitching and the depth to compete for the HHC Tournament and Class 4A sectional championships. But Coach Castleberry thinks his team must stick together through tough times if it is to win those titles. The second-year coach says Floyd Central’s main competition for the conference and sectional crowns is Jennings County and Bedford North Lawrence.
• COACH CASTLEBERRY SAYS: “This year we are taking it one pitch at a time and one game at a time and playing for this season as one team. We have to compete hard in practice, and at the same time support each other and celebrate extraordinary efforts. As a coach, my expectations are pretty simple — work hard preparing to play, and when it’s game time, go out and have fun playing the game as one team.”
• COACH: Jenny Schroeder (eighth season).
• LAST YEAR’S RECORD: 13-14.
• RETURNING LETTERWINNERS: Spencer Whitehouse, Sr., 1B; Ashtyn Kaskie, Jr., P; Emily Stewart, Jr., C; Audrey VanMeter, Jr., util.; Emily Hollis, So., SS; Emma Hendricks, So., 3B.
• KEY NEWCOMERS: Peyton Ottersbach, Fr., P; Sam Roth, Fr., util.; Hannah Nunn, Fr., util.
• OUTLOOK: Like the Generals, the Hornets will attempt to rebound after posting their worst mark during their coach’s tenure. Despite last season’s below-.500 record, Schroeder says her team’s goals remain high. She thinks Lanesville is the favorite to win the Southern Athletic Conference.
• SCHROEDER SAYS: “Coming off our first losing season since I have been the coach, the expectation is as it always is — be competitive with every team we play and have a winning season with the goal of advancing in the postseason. We expect to improve upon last season’s performances.”