By GREG MENGELT
Jeffersonville pitcher Mark Meyer pitched a three-hit shutout to lead the Red Devils to an eight-inning, 1-0 victory over Madison on Wednesday. The win is the Devils’ 10th straight and sends them into the Hoosier Hills Conference championship.
Jeff will host Floyd Central — an 8-0 winner over Seymour — on Friday at 6 p.m.
Meyer went the distance and struck out three. Madison loaded the bases in the first inning with two hits and a walk, but Meyer pitched his way out of the jam. Meyer retired 17 of the last 18 batters he faced.
Jeff didn’t get a hit against Madison’s Clark Vaughn until the bottom of the seventh when Casey Gibson doubled. In the bottom of the eighth, Chandler Dale walked with one out before giving way to pinch runner Miah Phelps. With two outs, Nolan Fertig’s line-drive single to right field scored Phelps for the run and the win.
• Dogs fall to East: Columbus East scored five runs in the fifth to beat New Albany 5-4 in the consolation bracket.
Jack Shine went 2 for 4 with a pair of RBIs for the Bulldogs. Tucker Marcum and Garrett Sherrell each had two hits and A.J. Nixon had a pair of RBIs for New Albany.
NEXT: New Albany (15-6) at Jennings County or Bedford, Friday.
• Highlanders advance to final: Floyd Central beat Seymour 5-0 on Wednesday to advance to Friday’s championship match at Columbus East.
Despite dropping only one set, Highlander coach Rick Miller was impressed with the Owls.
“It wasn’t an easy 5-0 win,” he said. “I thought our kids played a little nervous tonight.”
All three Floyd singles players won in straight sets, including Olivia Boesing’s 6-0, 6-0 win over Sylvia Ashley.
NEXT: Floyd Central (14-4) at Columbus East, Friday.
• Devils lose 3-2 to East: Columbus East swept the three singles matches to beat Jeffersonville 3-2 in one HHC semi on Wednesday.
Jeff got victories from Jules Jenks and Emily Lewis — 6-3, 6-4 over Lauren Champion and Alexa Hussman-Miller — at No. 1 doubles, and a 6-2, 3-6, 6-0 win from Macy Lancaster and Rachel Williams over Amanda Hasimoto and Amanda Sun at No. 2 doubles.
NEXT: Jeffersonville (11-6) hosts Seymour, Friday.
• Bulldogs beat Jennings 4-1: After a long rain delay, New Albany defeated Jennings County 4-1 in the consolation bracket.
Erin Kanii and Marin Kanii each won in straight sets in singles, and the doubles teams of Emily and Lauren Hoffer at No.1 doubles and Anne Mattox and Racquel Burch at No. 2 doubles were also victorious.
NEXT: New Albany at Bedford North Lawrence, Friday.
• Floyd lose heartbreaker: Jennings County scored a run in the bottom of the ninth to advance to the HHC championship with a 2-1 win over Floyd Central.
Caroline Cato pitched nine innings and gave up just one earned run for the Highlanders. She struck out four. The Highlanders tied at 1-1 in the seventh to force extra innings when Taylor McClure’s double was followed by a Clara Shean RBI triple.
NEXT: Floyd Central (17-4) hosts Seymour, Friday.
• Morton shuts down Stars: Hannah Morton tossed a complete-game shutout to help New Albany beat Bedford North Lawrence 4-0 in a consolation-bracket game.
Morton struck out two Stars, walked two and had a double and two RBIs at the plate. Brittany Jones had two hits for the Bulldogs.
NEXT: New Albany (16-5) hosts Columbus East, Friday.