> SOUTHERN INDIANA — (Weekly stats are from last Friday to Wednesday.)
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Jordan Batliner (IU Southeast softball, Floyd Central graduate, Fr.) — notes: Batliner was named the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Week for the second time this season on Monday; team records: 11-11 overall, 2-0 KIAC.
• Kyle Craig (IU Southeast baseball, Fr.) — notes: Craig earned KIAC Pitcher of the Week honors for the week of March 12-18; team records: 13-14 overall, 8-4 KIAC; Craig’s record: 0-0.
• Kelsey Becker (Wilmington softball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 5-for-7, one run scored; top performance: 4-for-4 with a run scored in the Quakers’ 7-4 win last Sunday at Marietta in Game 1 of a doubleheader; team records: 9-11 overall, 1-1 Ohio Athletic Conference.
• Ben Engle (IUPUI men’s golf, Sr.) — top performance: fifth in the Butler Spring Invitational on Monday and Tuesday with a two-round score of 147, 3-over-par (73 in the first round, 74 in the final); notes: the Jaguars won the Butler Invite with a team score of 595; it was IUPUI’s fifth tournament championship during the 2011-12 season, tying a school record.
• David Frank (Indianapolis men’s golf, So.) — notes: 13th in the Wisconsin-Parkside Invitational last Saturday and Sunday in Columbus with a two-round score of 144, even-par (74 in the first round, 70 in the final).
• Samantha Hitner (Bellarmine women’s golf, Sr.) — notes: 51st in the Bellarmine Invitational on Monday with a one-round score of 101, 29-over-par.
• Bethany Huber (Southern Indiana women’s golf, Fr.) — notes: 49th in the Bellarmine Invitational on Monday with a one-round score of 97, 25-over-par; 112t in the Northern Kentucky University Spring Invitational last weekend with a two-round score of 188, 44-over-par (99 in the first round, 89 in the final).
• Samantha McClure (Tennessee-Martin softball, Fr.) — notes: 1-for-3 in the Skyhawks’ 3-1 home victory over Belmont on Tuesday; team records: 20-12 overall, 9-2 Ohio Valley Conference.
• Brittany Mills (Ohio State softball, Jr.) — notes: 1-for-1 in the Buckeyes’ 6-0 home win over Wright State on Wednesday in Game 1 of a doubleheader; team records: 17-11 overall, 2-1 Big Ten.
• Andrew Mitchell (Danville Area CC men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: Mitchell played in the Jaguars’ 62-54 home win over Grand Rapids Community College in the consolation bracket semifinals of the National Junior College Athletic Association Division II National Tournament last Friday and their 63-62 home loss to Erie Community College in the consolation final last Saturday; team records: 21-15 overall, 8-2 Mid-West Athletic Conference.
• Nick Peters (U.S. Coast Guard Academy baseball, Sr.) — notes: no-decision relief outing in the Bears’ 7-5 loss last Saturday at Wheaton in Game 2 of a doubleheader, 2 2/3 innings pitched, no runs allowed, two hits, one walk, one strikeout; one run scored in the Coast Guard’s 9-6 victory on Monday at Albertus Magnus in the nightcap of a doubleheader; team records: 8-11 overall, 2-4 New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference; Peters’ record: 0-0.
• Katie Phillips (Spalding softball, Sr.) — notes: 1-for-2 with a run scored and an RBI in the Golden Eagles’ 9-0 home victory over Blackburn in Game 1 of a doubleheader last Saturday; team records: 11-7 overall, 2-0 St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
• Rena Philpot (Spalding softball, Sr.) — top performance: winning pitcher in a starting role in the Golden Eagles’ 9-0 home win over Blackburn last Saturday in Game 1 of a doubleheader, five innings pitched, no runs allowed, one hit, eight strikeouts, two walks; 2-for-3 with a double and two RBIs; team records: 11-7 overall, 2-0 SLIAC; Philpot’s record: 6-1.
• Jeffrey Thompson (Louisville baseball, So.) — top performance: winning pitcher in the Cardinals’ 5-4 home win over Cincinnati last Saturday in Game 2 of a doubleheader, 6 2-3 innings pitched, four runs allowed (all earned), six hits, career-high 11 strikeouts, two walks; team records: 18-7 overall, 3-0 Big East; Thompson’s record: 5-0.
• Libby Wright (St. Mary-of-the-Woods softball, Sr.) — notes: 1-for-3 with a double and two RBIs in the Pomeroys’ 8-5 victory on Tuesday at Hanover in Game 2 of a doubleheader; team record: 10-11 overall.