> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
COMPILED BY KEVIN HARRIS
CHARLESTOWN AT PROVIDENCE
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Murphy Stadium.
• RECORDS: Charlestown 5-2, Providence 4-3.
• SERIES RECORD: Providence leads 21-5.
• SERIES STREAK: Charlestown has won two in a row; Providence has won three of the last five meetings.
• LAST MEETING: Oct. 5, 2012 at Dutch Reis Field — Charlestown 53, Providence 0.
• KEY FACTS: The Pirates have held eight of their last 11 regular-season opponents to single digits. Seven of those games were shutouts. … Last Friday in the Pioneers’ 67-0 victory over Mitchell, it was the most points they have tallied since they put 69 on the scoreboard in a win over Louisville Moore in 2003. It was the first time Providence had cracked the 60-point barrier since a 63-24 victory over Clarksville in the 2008 regular-season finale.
• ANALYSIS: The Pioneers have been on a roll on offense in the last two games, averaging 51 points per contest in that stretch, but they face a big challenge in trying to keep that production going against a Charlestown team that ranks third in Class 3A in scoring defense at 11.1 points per game.
NEW ALBANY AT SEYMOUR
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Bulleit Stadium.
• RECORDS: New Albany 5-2, 4-1 Hoosier Hills Conference; Seymour 0-7, 0-5.
• SERIES RECORD: New Albany leads 27-12.
• SERIES STREAK: Seymour has won two in a row and three of the last four meetings.
• LAST MEETING: Oct. 5, 2012 at Buerk Field — Seymour 22, New Albany 20.
• KEY FACTS: Bulldog senior running back Tuwan Payton currently ranks third in the MaxPreps.com national rushing standings with 1,676 yards. At one point, Payton was first in the standings. … The last seven meetings between the HHC rivals have averaged a final margin of 6.7 points per game. During that stretch, six contests have had single-figure final margins and three games have gone to overtime.
• ANALYSIS: On paper, this HHC rivalry is expected to not be as close this time around. The Bulldogs rank fourth in Class 6A in scoring defense at 14.4 points per game, while scoring 32.3 points a clip this season. The winless Owls have given up 59.6 points per contest this season while tallying 14.3 points per game.