> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Laura Der (Marshall volleyball, Floyd Central graduate, Jr.) — weekly stats: 37 kills, 16 digs, five aces, three blocks; top performance: match-high 22 kills, seven digs, match-high three blocks and match-high two aces in the Thundering Herd’s 3-0 home win over UTEP last Sunday; notes: Der has made the all-Conference USA first team and the Conference USA Volleyball All-Academic team. She also was named the Conference USA Offensive Player of the Week; team records: 18-12 overall, 8-8 Conference USA.
• Brandon Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: two points in the Titans’ 80-68 home win over Purdue North Central on Wednesday; team records: 4-1 overall, 2-1 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Division I.
• Chris Beam (IU South Bend men’s basketball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 10.5 points per game, 5-of-13 field goals, 4-of-6 3-pointers, 7-of-8 free throws, nine assists, five rebounds, two steals; top performance: 13 points, shooting 4-of-6 from the field, 3-of-4 from 3-point range and 2-of-2 from the line, team-high five assists and three rebounds in the Titans’ 80-68 home win over Purdue North Central on Wednesday; team records: 4-1 overall, 2-1 Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Division I.
• Andrea Rademacher (Indiana State women’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: two rebounds in the Sycamores’ 69-39 home win last Friday against Eastern Illinois; team record: 2-0.
• Cody Banet (IU East men’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: three points in the Red Wolves’ 107-100 home victory over Union (Ky.) on Tuesday; team record: 3-1.
• Rachel Engle (Western Kentucky volleyball, Fr.) — notes: four digs in the Hilltoppers’ 3-0 home victory over Middle Tennessee State last Friday; team records: 29-3 overall, 15-0 Sun Belt Conference.
• Matthew Hamilton (Evansville men’s cross country, Jr.) — notes: 189th at the NCAA Division I Great Lakes Regional last Friday in Verona, Wis., 36:16.
• Ashlie Haworth (Lindsey Wilson volleyball, Sr.) — notes: Haworth saw action in the Blue Raiders’ 3-1 victory over Georgetown (Ky.) in the championship match of the Mid-South Conference Tournament last Saturday in Louisville. It was Lindsey Wilson’s second Mid-South Conference Tournament title in a row. The Blue Raiders host Grand View in the opening round of the NAIA National Championship tournament today; team records: 28-12 overall, 12-3 Mid-South Conference.
• Dylan Jenney (Franklin football, So.) — notes: Jenney played in the Grizzlies’ 58-29 home win over Hanover last Saturday; team records: 8-2 overall, 8-0 Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference.
• Kyndall Merritt (Indiana volleyball, Fr.) — notes: Merritt played in the Hoosiers’ 3-1 loss last Friday at Nebraska and their 3-0 victory last Saturday at Iowa; team records: 12-16 overall, 4-12 Big Ten.
• Sam Mires (Evansville men’s cross country, Sr.) — notes: 180th at the NCAA Division I Great Lakes Regional last Friday in Verona, Wis., 35:26.
• Brigid Morrissey (Furman women’s basketball, Jr.) — weekly stats: four assists, three rebounds, three steals; notes: four assists and team-high three steals in the Paladins’ 64-62 home win over High Point last Tuesday; team record: 2-0.
• Cole Richards (Franklin football, Sr.) — notes: seven extra-point kicks and a 26-yard field goal in the Grizzlies’ 58-29 home victory over Hanover last Saturday. Franklin clinched the HCAC outright championship, retained the Victory Bell over the rival Panthers and earned a berth in the NCAA Division III playoffs. Richards has earned a spot on the all-HCAC second team; team records: 8-2 overall, 8-0 HCAC.
• Katy Schad (Marshall volleyball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 30 digs, 18 kills, two blocks; top performance: match-high 20 digs and 10 kills in Marshall’s 3-0 home victory last Sunday; team records: 18-12 overall, 8-8 Conference USA.
• Melanie Stutsman (Western Kentucky volleyball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 82 assists, 17 digs, five kills, two blocks; top performance: match-high 46 assists and 12 digs in the Hilltoppers’ 3-0 victory over Florida International in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament on Thursday; notes: Stutsman has earned a spot on the all-Sun Belt Conference first team. It is the third consecutive season that the Hilltopper setter has been named all-conference. Western Kentucky’s 3-0 victory over Middle Tennessee State last Friday completed an undefeated season in Sun Belt Conference play for the Hilltoppers. It is the fourth time they have accomplished that feat in program history. Stutsman had a match-high 36 assists in the win; team records: 29-3 overall, 15-0 Sun Belt.
• Jordan Thompson (IU Southeast men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: two rebounds and team-high two steals in the Grenadiers’ 85-67 loss last Saturday at Georgetown (Ky.); team record: 2-2.
• Kelsey Traughber (Spalding women’s soccer, Sr.) — notes: Traughber made the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference All-Academic Team for the fall 2012 season.