News and Tribune

Homepage

January 5, 2014

UPDATE: Space heater sparked New Albany fire that killed three children

Officials vigilant in stressing heating safety as subzero weather approaches

NEW ALBANY — With subzero temperatures expected Monday, local and state officials are being extra vigilant in stressing heating safety — an issue that hit close to home early Saturday morning.

Three children were killed and another was taken to the Indianapolis Burn Center following an early morning house fire at 335 Ealy St. in New Albany after items left too close to a space heater ignited in flames, according to New Albany Fire Chief Matt Juliot.

The fire started around 2 a.m. in the one-story house, Juliot said. When the first engine arrived, the fire was fully involved. The children’s mother and a friend escaped from the house.

The last time multiple children were killed in a fire in New Albany was about 13 to 15 years ago, according to Juliot. A space heater was the cause of that fire, too.

“It’s never easy losing people. It’s especially difficult when children are involved,” Juliot said. “It’s tough on everyone involved ... police, fire, EMS.”

In a news release, New Albany Mayor Jeff Gahan and the city’s fire department offered “their most heartfelt condolences to the families affected by this tragedy.”

According to the release,  an investigation into the cause of the fire “determined that combustibles were within very close proximity to a space heater.” The New Albany and Jeffersonville fire departement investigation bureaus and the Indiana State Fire Marshall’s fire investigator assisted in the investigaiton, and all three agencies reached the same conclusion regarding the cause of the fire, the release stated.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, space heaters, whether portable or stationary, accounted for one-third of home heating fires and four out of five home heating fire deaths in 2011.

Juliot reminded residents to keep a 3-foot perimeter around any kind of heating source and not to leave it unattended. He also emphasized regularly maintenancing smoke detectors and making sure they have fresh batteries.

The home on Ealy Street was equipped with smoke detectors but “firefighters do not recall if they heard any audible noise” when they responded to the blaze, Juliot said.

Names of the victims and their ages have not been released.

 

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
07_22_GCCS_Tech.w.jpg

Erin Klein, a nationally-recognized education blogger and Tom Murray, State and District Digital Learning Policy and Advocacy Director for the Alliance for Excellent Education in Washington, D.C., speak to a group of educators at Jeffersonville High School on Monday. They were just a couple of the big-name education personalities at the second annual Greater Clark Connected Conference.

LATEST NEWS POSTS
SOUTHERN INDIANA SPORTS

LOCAL OPINIONS
LOCAL FEATURES
EVENTS CALENDAR
ntxt alerts
e-EDITION
Clark County Readers' Choice
2014 4-H Fairs


Images from the Floyd and Clark County 4-H fairs

You Need To Know Now!
SEASONAL CONTENT
Big Four Bridge opens
Must Read
Facebook
Twitter Updates
AP VIDEO
Michigan Plant's Goal: Flower and Die Raw: MH17 Passenger Remains in Kharkiv, Ukraine Raw: Israel Hits Gaza Targets, Destroys Mosques ShowBiz Minute: Hoffman, Oberst, Box Office WWII Vet Gets Medals, 70 Years Late Raw: Israel Bombs Multiple Targets in Gaza Veteran Creates Job During High Unemployment Raw: Cargo Craft Undocks From Space Station Widow: Jury Sent Big Tobacco a $23B Message New Orleans Plans to Recycle Cigarette Butts UN Security Council Calls for MH 17 Crash Probe Obama Bestows Medal of Honor on NH Veteran Texas Sending National Guard Troops to Border Hopkins to Pay $190M After Pelvic Exams Taped Foxx Cites Washington 'Circus Mirror' NASA Ceremony Honors Moon Walker Neil Armstrong
MARQUEE TEXT ADS