News and Tribune

Homepage

November 12, 2013

Fire destroys family home in Jeffersonville

No one injured in blaze, but JFD says family pet was killed

JEFFERSONVILLE — A home in Jeffersonville’s Capitol Hills neighborhood was destroyed by a fire Tuesday after a fireplace was left unattended, fire official say.

Jeffersonville Fire Department Maj. Mike McCutcheon said firefighters responded to the blaze at 3505 Washington Court about 1 p.m. No one was in the home during the fire.

An ember from a previous fire had escaped a flu insert and started a fire around the fireplace, McCutcheon said, after the home was left vacant.

Three generations of family members resided in home, and the Red Cross has stepped in to provide assistance, as the home was left inhabitable.

McCutcheon said the family’s dog, Chopper, was able to safely exit the home, but the cat, Bill, was killed in the fire.

JFD encourages all Jeffersonville residents to take extra precautions during the winter when alternative sources of heat, such as fireplaces and space heaters, are used in the home.

Call 812-283-8416 if you are interested in donating to the Clark County Red Cross.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
03_12_east_main_01w.jpg

Ron Banet, Greenville, of MAC Construction & Excavating, uses an excavator to remove portions of the sidewalk and curb along East Main Street in New Albany in this March 2014 file photo.

LATEST NEWS POSTS
SOUTHERN INDIANA SPORTS

LOCAL OPINIONS
LOCAL FEATURES
EVENTS CALENDAR
ntxt alerts
e-EDITION
Clark County Readers' Choice
2014 4-H Fairs


Images from the Floyd and Clark County 4-H fairs

You Need To Know Now!
SEASONAL CONTENT
Big Four Bridge opens
Must Read
Facebook
Twitter Updates
AP VIDEO
Courts Conflicted Over Healthcare Law Holder Urges Bipartisanship on Immigration Raw: Truck, Train Crash Leads to Fireball US Airlines Cancel Israel Flights Obama Signs Workforce Training Law Crash Victims' Remains Reach Ukraine-held City Diplomatic Push Intensifies to End War in Gaza Obama Offers Condolences at Dutch Embassy Cat Fans Lap Up Feline Film Festival Raw: Lawmakers Scuffle in Ukraine's Parliament The Rock Finds His Inner 'Hercules' Michigan Plant's Goal: Flower and Die Raw: MH17 Passenger Remains in Kharkiv, Ukraine Raw: Israel Hits Gaza Targets, Destroys Mosques Veteran Creates Job During High Unemployment New Orleans Plans to Recycle Cigarette Butts
MARQUEE TEXT ADS