By GARY POPP
A home in Jeffersonville’s Capitol Hills neighborhood was destroyed by a fire Tuesday after a fireplace was left unattended, fire official say.
Jeffersonville Fire Department Maj. Mike McCutcheon said firefighters responded to the blaze at 3505 Washington Court about 1 p.m. No one was in the home during the fire.
An ember from a previous fire had escaped a flu insert and started a fire around the fireplace, McCutcheon said, after the home was left vacant.
Three generations of family members resided in home, and the Red Cross has stepped in to provide assistance, as the home was left inhabitable.
McCutcheon said the family’s dog, Chopper, was able to safely exit the home, but the cat, Bill, was killed in the fire.
JFD encourages all Jeffersonville residents to take extra precautions during the winter when alternative sources of heat, such as fireplaces and space heaters, are used in the home.
Call 812-283-8416 if you are interested in donating to the Clark County Red Cross.