Camp Atterbury is preparing for the arrival of nearly 5,000 Afghan evacuees. State officials said they could arrive as soon as the end of this week.
In a press conference Wednesday, Brigadier General R. Dale Lyles, adjutant general of the Indiana National Guard, said the evacuees are currently being vetted at the point of departure and will again be vetted once in the United States.
Once at Camp Atterbury the evacuees will be placed in a 14-day medical hold where they will go through a series of medical screenings, which includes testing and possible vaccinations for Covid-19.
Lyles said once through the medical screening process the evacuees will stay at Camp Atterbury for single digit weeks. Multiple agencies will be working with them to determine their visa status and resettling them throughout the United States.
800 soldiers, include military police and medical support, are coming to assist at Camp Atterbury.
The Indiana National Guard is working to set up system for accepting donations. In the mean time those who want to help can call 317-247-3559. You're asked to give your information and someone will call you back with further instructions on how to help.
This Week's Circulars
June 2021 Obituaries
Memorial Gathering: 12:00p.m.-1:00p.m., Saturday, October 2, 2021, Edwardsville United Methodist Church (4830 SR 64, Georgetown, Indiana). Memorial Service: 1:00p.m., Saturday at the church. Cremation was chosen following Joanne's wishes. www.NewcomerKentuckiana.com.
Mary Lucille (Becht) Missi, 86 years of age, peacefully passed away on Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at the Villas of Guerin Woods in Georgetown, Indiana, with her family by her side. She was born on June 12, 1935 in Georgetown, Indiana to the late Arvil and Mary Bea (Barr) Becht. Lucille was …
- Floyd County Readers' Choice
- Local doctors to start new concierge practice in Floyds Knobs
- Rose-Hulman freshman dies from injuries suffered in Saturday accident
- Jeffersonville pastor charged with sex with minor in Allen County
- Street closures approved for Harvest Homecoming festival, parade
- Senate redistricting would reshape Southern Indiana representation, affect 2022 races
- Indiana National Guard deployed to support staff at Clark Memorial Health
- Floyd County Little League seeks help to improve facilities
- Sentenced in pornography case, defendant now faces child molestation charge
- New Indiana program aims to provide stable internet connection across the state