Silver Hills trail marker

The Silver Hills Historical Society recently installed and unveiled an historical marker on the trolley car line trail historically recognizing the Highland Railway. Pictured, back row, from left to right: Kelly Carnighan, director, Ric Manning, secretary, Jim Stein, treasurer, Bob Ceasar, co-director. Front row, left to right: Dr. Al Knable, board member, Nancy Everbach, board member, and Pat Leist Stumler, board member.

NEW ALBANY — The Silver Hills Historical Society has installed and unveiled an historical marker on the trolley car line trail historically recognizing the Highland Railway, according to a news release from the society. The dedication along The Silver Hills Historical Nature Trail and Wildlife Sanctuary was held Sunday, Oct. 15. Present for the unveiling were the officers and board of directors of the society.

The Silver Hills Historical Society was organized in October 2012. This month marks its fifth-year anniversary. To date, the organization has hosted 10 historical events and developed and opened a community trail. The Silver Hills Historical Nature Trail and Wildlife Sanctuary was completed and opened in June 2016. A third of the one-mile loop trail is what remains today of the roadbed for the New Albany Highland Railway Trolley Car Line, which opened for operation in May 1891. It ceased operation in 1932.

The historical marker reads:

SILVER HILLS TROLLEY CAR LINE (1891-1932)

“The Silver Hills New Highland Railway was established in 1890. Construction began in early 1891, and the line opened for passenger service on the 4th of May. Patrons boarded the electric cars at a depot located on West Spring and Eight Streets. The Highland Railway served the community of Silver Hills exclusively for 14 years, providing transportation to homes on the Hill, Scenic Park and the Silver Heights Camp Grounds. In 1905, the Highland Railway was sold to the Louisville & Southern Indiana Traction Company. The depot was removed and the track was connected to the city street car line. It continued to serve Silver Hills until May of 1932, when the line ceased operation.”

For more information visit SilverHillsHistoricalSociety.org or call 502-494-0840.

— Submitted

Recommended for you