INDIANAPOLIS — Two women are suing the Olive Garden restaurant chain, claiming they were among the hundreds of people sickened after eating at one of its Indianapolis restaurants last week.

The complaint filed Tuesday in Marion Circuit Court on behalf of two Hamilton County women seeks class-action status and damages.

Diana K. Redman and Courtney A. Redman became ill with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea after eating at the restaurant on the city's north side on Dec. 13, the lawsuit claims.

The Marion County Health Department determined that a norovirus sickened more than 300 patrons last week.

The restaurant closed for four days so workers could clean it. It reopened Tuesday, after health officials stressed to managers that they should not allow sick employees to work.

The lawsuit contends the virus was transmitted to the Redmans and others through food contaminated by direct contact with the infected workers or through contact with surfaces they had touched.

Bob Scott, senior manager of total quality for Orlando, Fla.-based Darden Restaurants, which owns Olive Garden, said he had not seen the complaint, so he could not comment.

Scott oversaw the reopening and said the company is committed "to regaining the trust" of those affected.

"We are ready to accept that challenge," he said.



Trending Video

Recommended for you