Fifteen Jeffersonville firefighters worked Friday morning to save both a Francis Avenue house and the life of a puppy.

At about 9:45 a.m., Jeffersonville Fire Department officials responded to a call regarding a house fire on the 1400 block of Francis Avenue, said JFD Chief Tony Harrod.

A puppy — a recent addition to the household — was left unattended in the laundry room, Harrod said. The pet ripped into a bag of dog food with its paws and teeth and also into a bag of self-igniting charcoal, Harrod said.

“Because this was all so close to a hot water heater that did not have the proper safety cover, the charcoal ignited,” Harrod said. “Fortunately, the fire was mostly contained to the laundry area.”

The dog was rescued and the blaze squelched fairly quickly, Harrod said. Damage was minimal and mostly contained to the laundry room.

Trending Video

Recommended for you